• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Planted bowl questions

printf

Seedling
I'm planning on setting up a planted tank, 100cm x 50cm x 40cm, and have been reading around it for a time but while I am deliberating I decided to try a bowl.

The bowl holds around 2g and i've planted it with :

Bacopa monnieri
Bacopa compacta
Rotala rotundifolia
Echinodorus bleheri

using a substrate of John Innes #3 and some 2-4mm gravel.

Here's a picture not long after it was set up.

WALSTAD_DAY1.jpg

I was hoping to keep a few shrimps in the bowl and i've seen many write ups where if bowls have been planted heavily enough people have added some shrimps almost immediately but would I be better to leave it a couple of weeks ?

Will I need clean-up crew like snails to help keep algae at bay ?

Am I likely to have trouble with any of my plant choices ?

I'm not settled on the lighting for the bowl yet as I made a mistake and thought I had something that I turned out not to have, in the photo it is being lit by an energy-saving bulb of unknown temperature (it's a standard off the shelf so I think they are usually about 2600K which I know is far from ideal) and a supplemental LED light.

If there's anything else that sticks out that is likely to cause any problems ?

Apologies if this is posted in the wrong section.

Thanks

You've been browsing Newmans bowl over on PT. :D

I've got a smaller bowl running which I was growing some Glosso trimmings in then it turned into a dumping pot for trimmings. Now it's got Lileaopsis, Bacopa, Staurogyne, Ludwigia and a small crypt in it, just running off natural light. I have a few snails in there and did have 1 guppy fry. As he developed into a male he was returned to the guppy orb where he is now happily servicing the ladies. The bowl now just sits by my nano's in the garage with just a few snails. I was doing 60-70% water changes 2-3 times per week for the 1st month or so and dosing a couple of drops of easycarbo daily. A few drops of ei ferts when I felt like it. These days it's in a state of neglect but thriving with around 80% wc every 2 weeks or so. Only snails and plants in it now.

If you can get your hands on a couple of guppy or endler fry I would add them along with some daphnia, run it a month with the fry then add a few shrimp. You can remove said fry after about 8 weeks or when you feel they should be moved.

Cherry shrimps probably would be fine from the start depending on substrate used.

I think that sword is gonna get huge in there!

i really like the idea of planted bowls but am not a fan of keeping shrimp in them, just feel it is a similar road to the betta vase etc... while some people will keep perfectly happy bowls, the promotion of keeping any fauna like this invariably will have negative consequences as a whole.
ill get off my soap box now.

Back