• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

'Pot' scape - one WC in 2 months !!!!

Zeus.

Fertz Meister
Hi All

My second tank I picked up cheap a Dennerle Scaper's tank which I have been playing with for some time with different lights and doing mini rescapes. I have planed to total rescape it and have already got the rocks and wood form Aquarium Gardens for it. But decided to experiment a little with it first to find out what will work well with the set up. My 500l litre tank is doing well which was the first planted tank I have done. But felt I needed the experience with something more flexible for plants so I could monitor the effects of flow and depth in the water and light intensity algae and plant growth and different fert regimes. +/- LC

So went for a Pot scape, with what plants I had with some ADA AS in some pots and gravel in others. Pic says it all, pots didn't cost much at local garden center.

upload_2018-8-11_9-26-46.png

Pic taken 3rd June 2018

started off with EI ferts about 150% dose, lights low and have been increasing slowly:rolleyes: well slowlyish;)added some RCS which have young ones for next generation ATM :thumbup:
also been spot dosing LC to some of the plants with algea on them 'ad hoc'

Got back monday from Holiday to

upload_2018-8-11_9-29-21.png

little tidy up and
upload_2018-8-11_11-3-45.png

It does seemed to have turned a corner as the plants have filled in algae wise which is what everybody advises OFC Plant heavy. But never had an issue with big tank, so it was a good learning experience to be getting a minor algae issue which ATM with a better plant mass seems to be resolving it, which confirms the advise Plant Heavy :thumbup:

Nice to be able to move pots around and see the effect with better flow/CO2/distrubution , light intensity by putting pot higher in the tank, the way it effects the growth algea. Plus can you grow a carpet of HC at the bottom of the tank with your light.

Also makes trimming stems and replanting easy as you can just take the pot out :)

Then when your happy you got plenty of plants ready to scape.

Thought it was worth a share and will keep it updated as it progresses and finalise my plant choices.

Do have a Pest snail problem in the tank also :mad::mad::mad:

Zeus

This pot scape makes me think of those Terracota tubes in different diameters and sizes,
https://www.suncoast-stone.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/clay5.jpg
placed verticaly togehter.. Short pilars in front creating elevated terraces to the back with longer pilars. :) The pipe organ scape.. Or whats that British coast line with those vertical rock pilars called again?. Something with giants..

Nice idea, and a great way to experiment and gain experience.
As for pest snails...pest is just one consonant away from pet :D
TBH, I can't stand molluscs of any kind...eSHa Gastropex has worked for me in the past but I've had to double the dose and dose twice.

Nice idea, and a great way to experiment and gain experience.
As for pest snails...pest is just one consonant away from pet :D
TBH, I can't stand molluscs of any kind...eSHa Gastropex has worked for me in the past but I've had to double the dose and dose twice.
p.s. I wanna see how this works out for you zeus, I also suffer from
pestsnailidis and it can get annoying sometimes when I find they have eaten all of one of my plant sp. overnight
kill em all!

Or whats that British coast line with those vertical rock pilars called again?. Something with giants..
Giant's causeway, vertical pillars of basalt, I think. Parts of it are in Northern Ireland and there's a pattern piece off the S.W scottish coast if I remember correctly. I've a pic of my Grandparents sat on it.

Giant's causeway, vertical pillars of basalt, I think. Parts of it are in Northern Ireland and there's a pattern piece off the S.W scottish coast if I remember correctly. I've a pic of my Grandparents sat on it.

The Isle of Staffa is where the scottish causeway is. It's where Finn MacCool the irish giant built the causeway to so he could have a scrap with the Scottish giant, or so legend has it.

p.s. I wanna see how this works out for you zeus, I also suffer from
pestsnailidis and it can get annoying sometimes when I find they have eaten all of one of my plant sp. overnight
kill em all!

Me too :thumbup: I also have a Fluval Spec 19 Litre low tech which I keep spare plants in and I put the low colour quality shrimp in there of and there all wild colours so no loss if I loss them, as I have got the pest snails in there too :rolleyes:. If the shrimp die in the process of clearing the snails out can put my nice RCS in there and treat the Pot Tank :doctor:. Well thats the plan ATM.

Dosed the eSHa Gastropex in my Fluval Spec at recommended dose oce and snails tool a small hit and scrimp was fine

Got impatient did 95%WC and double dosed the eSHa Gastropex and day after third day dose no snails moving in tank, had to knock a few back in as they tried to escape the water level.

upload_2018-8-22_20-42-5.png

Few scrimp in there seems fine :) will repeat x2 dose in another 10days, then onto the 'Pot Scape'

Dosed the eSHa Gastropex in my Fluval Spec at recommended dose oce and snails tool a small hit and scrimp was fine

Got impatient did 95%WC and double dosed the eSHa Gastropex and day after third day dose no snails moving in tank, had to knock a few back in as they tried to escape the water level.

View attachment 117378

Few scrimp in there seems fine :) will repeat x2 dose in another 10days, then onto the 'Pot Scape'

:sorry::sorry::sorry: Im so sorry that all your snails died. Couldnt think of anything worse. My condolences

Decided to leave the snails in the 50l tank for the time being even added some Ramhorns snails as they are doing such a great job of keeping the algae at bay.

Been really happy with how well the pot scape is doing and great plant growth with some reaching the top of the tank and great colours and healthy stems, then the idea cam to mind with these potted plants, just drop them in my 500l.

So going to be using this tank as the Marine guys do with their 'Frag tanks' for their corals:thumbup:, picked up a few more plants to see how they do also.

upload_2018-9-16_16-11-13.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-9-16_16-11-52.png
    upload_2018-9-16_16-11-52.png
    1 MB · Views: 204
  • upload_2018-9-16_16-17-1.png
    upload_2018-9-16_16-17-1.png
    2 MB · Views: 879
  • upload_2018-9-16_16-20-13.png
    upload_2018-9-16_16-20-13.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 882
Looks ace Zeus nice one. The potted tank is a great idea I might try that I have a spare 200 litre tank in my attic might just stick a load of plants in that in pots and then stick them in my 400 litre tank once they are ready.

People grow plants in pots underwater and I struggle to manage something as simple as basil on the windowsill :bored:
I am so envious. It's beautiful, grats

Any noticeable difference regarding plant growth in Aquasoil vs plain gravel?

Nope not that I have noticed, but I am dosing EI at 150% plus the AS which is in some of the pots will be doing the buffering via its High CEC so not really a true comparison to a tank with gravel only with EI ferts

put some stems in ceramic rings for weights last week and they seem to be doing fine IMO
upload_2018-10-3_18-52-25.png

Sorry about the GDA on the glass :oops:

Back