• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Pump for water change setup

Outzen

Im about to start up at new Juwel Vision 260 planted tank and Im planning to place a plastic container in the aquarium cubboard and put a pump and a heater in it, and use this for doing water changes. I receive the tap water from several different water sources, hence have to expect different levels of water quality. Im also of the impression that its a good idea only to use cold tap water (which ofcause will necessitate subsequent heating) - but this assumption may be dead wrong :)?
Anyway, for these reasons I intend to set up a water changing scheme where I will fill the container with tap water, heat it and measure it - and possibly add minerals or do other stuff to change water parametres before pumping the water from the container into the aquarium.
Again - if this scheme seems unnecessary/pointless - please comment :)

Considering this pump:
Upettools Submersible Water Pump, Ultra Silence Circulation Multifunctional Water Pump with Handle For Pond, Aquarium, Hydroponics, Fish Tank Fountain with 4.6ft (1.4M) Power Cord(220GPH,25W) …lift height is 2 m.
Anyone had experice with this pump or similar ?

How do you perform water changes - just a hose with temperated water directly from the watertap?

/Jakob

When I had my larger tank I used one of these pumps:
Amazon product ASIN B072MLZJTRI fitted an adapter to it so it would work with the mains plug. I popped it in to one of the 25l water containers like you get at the LFS and fills up quickly and easily.

I'd go for a MUCH higher capacity, Outzen, then your suggestion. Something like this one.
I simply put the pump into the tank with a 10 metre hose running to the bathroom to remove the water. NOTE, I have put the pump into a fine mesh bag in case any baby shrimp were to get sucked into the pump when removing the tank water
And then, to fill up, put the pump in a bucket in the kitchen sink with the hose running back to the tank. With the tap running into the bucket at approximately the correct temperature. I wouldn't just add cold - it will shock the livestock and make the heater work too hard. Adding the total amount of dechlorinator into the first bucket of water (and the minerals too, I have very, very soft tap water).
When refilling, I clip the hose into the tank, because you'll have a flood if it slips and you don't notice straight away

Hot water issues are around water storage tanks or water softeners. If that applies maybe dig a bit deeper. If it's just hot water out of a combi boiler I don't think there are any issues.

Old filter inlets/outlet loops to prevent hose slip.
IMG_0086.jpeg

IMG_0084.jpeg

Back