• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Purigen Alternative

Hi all,
I've just finished <"How does Prime detoxify ammonia and nitrite?">I really enjoyed it and have stolen various bits to use in later posts, it is absolute comic gold, and the posters on it <"obviously don't fear litigation">.
Ah yes that's the one I was thinking of, albeit it was a while back now - Seachem prime ????
I'm guessing that is where we are still: <"Seachem prime ????">.
...... the disinfectant is still chlorine (as hypochlorous acid HClO), and it this trickles out as the chloramine breaks down to Cl- and NH3(NH4+). Because it is trickling out over time, a planted tank will mop up the NH3.

Seachem won't tell you how "Prime" works, but Kordon's "Amquel" has a patent <http://www.kordon.com/kordon/products/water-conditioner/amquel#compatabilities!> and I would be very surprised if the mode of action of Prime is much different.

I would suspect that all the newer, "better" conditioners (have a look at the blurb for "Amquel+") use EDTA and sodium hydroxymethanesulphonate (or similar). The EDTA chelates any heavy metals (as long as Fe ions aren't present in large amounts) and the hydroxymethane - end of the molecule reacts with ammonia to form a non-toxic, stable water-soluble compound "aminomethanesulphonate". The sulphonate end of the molecule reacts with both free-available chlorine, and combined-available chlorine in chloramines. Any ammonia (from the break down of the chloramine) is then mopped up by the sodium hydroxymethanesulphonate.

cheers Darrel

I found a couple of purigen knock offs on amazon and decided to get some. It was 715ml for $20 USD. 1L of purigen is $57 USD. It looks a lot like purigen and it smells like it too. I wonder if it's the exact same stuff, or is purigen actually something special 🤔.
20231127_212257.jpg

Purigen advertised capacity is 100ml per 100 galon. Yours is 715 ml per 100 galon. I would expect a true knock off to advertise the same numbers.

Then again, I always imagine a magician taking a random number out of a top hat when reading these instructions, or with ceramic media...

Think there's a clue in the packaging make you think it's Purigen. I would just get Purigen and know what you have

Purigen advertised capacity is 100ml per 100 galon. Yours is 715 ml per 100 galon. I would expect a true knock off to advertise the same numbers.

Then again, I always imagine a magician taking a random number out of a top hat when reading these instructions, or with ceramic media...
If the numbers they both advertise are true then the Purigen would be a lot cheaper. I find it hard to believe that I need such a small amount of Purigen to filter my big tank but I guess Seachem doesn't have anything to gain in saying you need less of their product.
Think there's a clue in the packaging make you think it's Purigen. I would just get Purigen and know what you have
Yeah I think I am going to do this and drop both of them in my sump. I am curious to see how they will both look like after a few weeks.

Back