• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Red Cherry Shrimp

A

Antipofish

Hi I am hoping to get about 10 1" long red cherry shrimp. Can anyone tell me the answers to a few questions I have please....

1) How good are they at keeping algae at bay (assuming water params are not seriously out of kilter)
2) What water params do they prefer
3) Can they handle softer/ acidic environment
4) Do they target any specific algae type
5) Is 1" big enough to avoid being a snack for an Apistogramma dwarf cichlid ?
6) How fussy are they ? IE how soon after setting up the tank can they go in ? (Im setting up a planted tank with liquid ferts and liquid carbo, will be around 26 degrees temp, there will be heaps of large water changes in the first few weeks... 50% a day for first week, 50% every other day next week, 50% twice a week in week three if params are OK then 50% once a week after that I hope)

Anything else I should be asking ?

Thanks

1) How good are they at keeping algae at bay (assuming water params are not seriously out of kilter) - There OKAY there are by far not the best but they arent the worst either
2) What water params do they prefer - viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19266
3) Can they handle softer/ acidic environment - Yes
4) Do they target any specific algae type - Green algae i've noticed mine eating aswell as fuzz algae
5) Is 1" big enough to avoid being a snack for an Apistogramma dwarf cichlid ? - No, the only fish that is safe for them is the otto but some fish depending on there personality (rummy nose tetras,neon tetras ect) will get on okay with them.
6) How fussy are they ? IE how soon after setting up the tank can they go in ? (Im setting up a planted tank with liquid ferts and liquid carbo, will be around 26 degrees temp, there will be heaps of large water changes in the first few weeks... 50% a day for first week, 50% every other day next week, 50% twice a week in week three if params are OK then 50% once a week after that I hope) - you can put them in straight away, They are not fussy when it comes to parameters aslong as there not at the high end of the PH scale ect.

Here is a guide i made - viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19266 hope it helps

Mitchell

Let me add something to 6. - They also dont produce a lot of faeces so there wont be any large ammonia spikes, keep up doing daily/weekly water changes for the first 2-4 weeks and you'll be fine even though, i put mine in first day and havn't done a water change in 2 weeks and 3 are berried, so it really dosnt matter.

OK, but they wont be ok if I have apistogrammas , cos not having them is not an option, lol.

Ill admit, i know nothing about apistogrammas, they may be okay and may not, only way to find out is to try it.

Back