• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Rio Nanay fish

Hi George I noticed that most of your 120cm tanks with altums or scalare filteration is always around 2400 l/h. Is this the requirment for fauna?
How do we determine flowrate for this fauna I' wondering.

Got myself a 3x2x2ft tank thinkin of setting up mainly for altums.
It will be a biotope tank consist of 5 altums 7 cory 30 rummy.

For this setup, I will be using eheim cannister.
Is eheim 2260 suitable? Or could you sugggest a more suitable filter for 90cm tank thanks.

We often talk about a 10x guideline for planted tanks. This is to minimise dead spots that can result in algae. It's also to ensure that sufficient CO2/nutrients are delivered effectively throughout the water column.

Folk succeed with far less and far more, but 10x is a good rule of thumb. So a 240 litre aquarium has 2400lph claimed flow rate from the filter manufacturers.

It's actually more important to consider how the circulation works throughout the aquarium, and not just rely on numbers. This is where the type of filter outlet is important i.e. spray bars, lily pipes etc. Many folk also add powerheads to their aquariums. I personally find these hugely unsightly and would rather add another filter to get the required flow.

However, if your aquarium is a biotope with no plants then flow rate is not so important. You will just need a filter that is capable of dealing with the fish waste and to provide some circulation for oxygen exchange etc. A 2260 would be fine, especially in combination with appropriate maintenance practices.

On second thought for the 3ft biotope 5 x altum tank , think i will stick with 1x2217 instead. Would it be a good flowrate to clear fish waste and good circulation for oxygen?

Back