• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Sex Sphaerichthys vaillanti

Yo-han

Although I'm mainly a plant enthousiast, I've always loved the colors on this fish. Till now I only had schooling fish and an algae crew in my tank. But I could get these for a very nice price and they were colorful from the minute they arrived at the lfs I work. So I took the 4 most beautiful females and two small males. Placed them in my 400L and they even showed more brilliant colors. Almost like the pictures on google:
2447108276_b38de96698.jpg

Didn't had time this weekend to take pictures but I noticed one of the males showed some vertical bars today, very pale, a little like this but even less pronounced:
sphaerichthys_vaillanti.jpg

I'll try to make pictures this week. But do males have these vertical stripes sometimes, or do I've 5 females?

For anyone reading this with the same question: Found out by now that all 6 were females. Any vertical stripe means female (the one in the picture above as well) so I bought 3 others of which 2 are 100% male. And to show off a little (no award winning pictures but nonetheless):
Female in neutral mood:
hmv5vuk.jpg

Female with war paint, chasing the other (bigger) female away:
vuTqoYC.jpg

Female with male:
Xfa6EjY.jpg

Back