• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Solufeed 2:1:4 and Solufeed Sodium Free TEC or Solufeed Coir TEC Combination

Excited to report my Solufeed 2:1:4 arrived today, and am making up my solution per Happi's recommendation.
Only thing is that the stuff is a lot blue-r than I was expecting based on my very limited experience... Blue powder, and blue in the bottle. I assume blue is good? :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230219-220308~2.png
    Screenshot_20230219-220308~2.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 148
Excited to report my Solufeed 2:1:4 arrived today, and am making up my solution per Happi's recommendation.
Only thing is that the stuff is a lot blue-r than I was expecting based on my very limited experience... Blue powder, and blue in the bottle. I assume blue is good? :)
The Blue color is just a dye and nothing to worry about. according to this, it should be Blue. I believe only the Solufeed TEC doesn't contain dye and should be in Brown Color. But, someone please confirm this because I do not have them on hand to validate this.

@LFNfan did you buy this as well?

The Blue color is just a dye and nothing to worry about. according to this, it should be Blue. I believe only the Solufeed TEC doesn't contain dye and should be in Brown Color. But, someone please confirm this because I do not have them on hand to validate this.

@LFNfan did you buy this as well?
solufeed-mix-high-k-and-rose-jpg.175233

Solufeed High K 2:1:4 ...on the left.........Solufeed Rose on the right!
Ferka K solution is Blue.
1676892088925.jpeg

hoggie

Last edited:
Hi, I'm looking into swapping from premade ferts to solufeed but a) maths and chemistry are my weakest subjects, and b) I'm suffering with a lot of brain fog and neuro symptoms at the moment and I'm desperately struggling to make sense of what I need to buy/dose for my 6 small tanks (which is why I kept putting it off). Would anyone be so kind as to help me out? The ifc calc is just a jumble of numbers to me right now!

Hi, I'm looking into swapping from premade ferts to solufeed but a) maths and chemistry are my weakest subjects, and b) I'm suffering with a lot of brain fog and neuro symptoms at the moment and I'm desperately struggling to make sense of what I need to buy/dose for my 6 small tanks (which is why I kept putting it off). Would anyone be so kind as to help me out? The ifc calc is just a jumble of numbers to me right now!
Let me know how can I help. So what would you like to learn ?

Thank you @Happi ! All my tanks are low tech, some rainwater and some hard tap. Can I get away with using the same mix for both or am I better keeping them separate and making up one mix for hard water and one for rainwater/DI?
do you have a water report ?
what is the TDS of your rain water or other parameters of the rain water if you ever tested it?
it might be a good idea to make the fertilizer solution separately for both Rain and Tap water.

Post some pictures of your tanks describing the details about the tank, Parameters, equipment, CO2 etc.

Hi all,
All my tanks are low tech, some rainwater and some hard tap. Can I get away with using the same mix for both or am I better keeping them separate and making up one mix for hard water and one for rainwater/DI?
Some nutrients are less available in harder water, but this mainly effects iron (Fe), purely because most iron (FeII(I)) compounds <"are insoluble"> in hard water.
what is the TDS of your rain water or other parameters of the rain water if you ever tested it?
As @Myrtle is not that far away from me as the crow flies, I'll guess similar to mine, lowest about 30 microS in the winter and up to 120 microS in the summer, most of that conductivity from calcium (Ca++) and (bi)carbonate (2HCO3)- ions.
I'm suffering with a lot of brain fog and neuro symptoms at the moment and I'm desperately struggling to make sense of what I need to buy/dose for my 6 small tanks
I've <"got on well with Solufeed 2 : 1 : 4">, I haven't purchased the micro-elements, but I add a <"little extra"> FeEDTA and Epsom Salts (MgSO4.7H2O).

In terms of how much you need to add, all you need is the composition of the fertiliser (below) and the size of the tank.
solufeed_elemental1-jpg.188011

I'm going to assume a tank size of 30 litres, and we want to add 20 ppm nitrate (NO3) via our fertiliser, which is a dry dose of 0.9g

This is <"from a thread we both contributed to"> and the maths would be:

We want 20 ppm NO3 (2 x 10 ppm), so that is the weight in grams (below) x 2 and our tank is a 1/6 of the volume (180 / 30), which means that we need to divide our weight be 6. Multiply by 2 and divide by 6 is the same as divide by 3 , so we have 2.71g / 3 = 0.9g.
I'll use nitrate (NO3-) again as my target nutrient, but I'll go for 10 ppm NO3-, rather than 10 ppm N (~44 ppm NO3-). So the only differences are tank volume and nutrient dosing level. I still assume that all the nitrogen is as NO3.
  • The tank is a nominal 180 litres and
  • I want 10 ppm NO3
  • Solufeed 2 : 1 : 4 is 15% nitrogen (N).
  • There are 1000 mg in a gram, so 1 gram of Solufeed contains 0.15g or 150 mg N, "mg / L" and "ppm" are equivalents.
  • 150 / 180 = 0.83 ppm N in 180 litres. To convert from N to NO3 we multiply by 4.43.
  • 0.83 x 4.43 = 3.69, so 1 gram of Solufeed 2 : 1 : 4 supplies 3.69 ppm NO3
  • 3.69 * 2.71 = 10 ppm
  • You need to add 2.7g of Solufeed 2 : 1 : 4 to 180 litres to give 10 ppm NO3.
cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Hi all,
do you know what kind of Dye they use?
<"I assume it"> is one of these <"Dyes for Fertilizers & Agricultural Compounds - Chromatech"> and presumably <"D15003 Chromatint Blue AZ 50% Liquid - Chromatech">.
Tropica uses E123, which is listed as quite unhealthy according to some research.
Synthetic Azo dyes <"aren't great">, but you should be fine as long as you don't drink the concentrate. Using food colours would make sense because they have already been through the <"regulatory H&S process">.

I'm going to say that it is minimal risk, particularly compared to using H2O2, glutaraldehyde etc.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Hi all,

Some nutrients are less available in harder water, but this mainly effects iron (Fe), purely because most iron (FeII(I)) compounds <"are insoluble"> in hard water.

As @Myrtle is not that far away from me as the crow flies, I'll guess similar to mine, lowest about 30 microS in the winter and up to 120 microS in the summer, most of that conductivity from calcium (Ca++) and (bi)carbonate (2HCO3)- ions.

I've <"got on well with Solufeed 2 : 1 : 4">, I haven't purchased the micro-elements, but I add a <"little extra"> FeEDTA and Epsom Salts (MgSO4.7H2O).

In terms of how much you need to add, all you need is the composition of the fertiliser (below) and the size of the tank.
solufeed_elemental1-jpg.188011

I'm going to assume a tank size of 30 litres, and we want to add 20 ppm nitrate (NO3) via our fertiliser, which is a dry dose of 0.9g

This is <"from a thread we both contributed to"> and the maths would be:

Wwe want 20 ppm NO3 (2 x 10 ppm), so that is the weight in grams (below) x 2 and our tank is a 1/6 of the volume (180 / 30), which means that we need to divide our weight be 6. Multiply by 2 and divide by 6 is the same as divide by 3 , so we have 2.71g / 3 = 0.9g.

cheers Darrel
Thank you! I'd forgotten I'd bookmarked that calculation and was getting in a right mess with the IFC calculator :confused: The tds sounds about right, though I also use DI water when I run out of rain. I need to work out remineralisation of that too at some point but that's a different topic.
I'll reread those links again and hope it sinks in a bit! The tanks range from 12l to 60l, so if I've done it right, the 12l should need 0.18g, 17l 0.25g, 44l 0.7g and the 60l 0.9g? I assume this is weekly, too?

Hi all,
The tanks range from 12l to 60l, so if I've done it right, the 12l should need 0.18g, 17l 0.25g, 44l 0.7g and the 60l 0.9g?
That would be for 10 ppm NO3, to give you 20 ppm (mg / L) nitrate (NO3-) it would be 0.3g of Solufeed 2:1:4 in every 10 litres of tank water.
I assume this is weekly, too?
I don't add a set amount of fertiliser, I use the <"Duckweed Index"> and <"occasional slosh method">, but I should <"really do better">. I might start with 20 ppm and <"see how you get on">.
I need to work out remineralisation of that too at some point but that's a different topic.
I just use a <"splash tap water"> for some dGH (purely as calcium (Ca)) and alkalinity (dKH). I'm going to add magnesium (Mg) with the fertiliser and <"possibly top it up"> with "Epsom Salts" (MgSO4.7H2O) if I suspect deficiency.

I don't add a set amount of tap water, I just aim to remain in the <"conductivity datum range">. I'll be honest I don't very often even use the conductivity meter, I usually just go on the <"state of the snail shells">. I'm going to say that somewhere around 3 - 4 dKH (and dGH) is pretty good for most fish and plants.

If I had softer rainwater I would <"lower the conductivity datum range"> and that would open up the possibility of keep (and breeding) black-water fish, but it would be <"curtains for the snails"> and I like snails.

cheers Darrel

Thanks :) I must admit that I'm not the kind of person (especially right now) who can manage a tight regime, which is part of the reason I stay away from CO2 as well. I think your methods may be pretty much what I need at the moment so I'll have a play and keep an eye on stuff. To be honest, at the moment I dose when I remember, though I'm trying to sync that with turning the lights on in the morning to try to get a bit of consistency at least!

I'm interested in trying this, I have both solufeed products.
Just wished to confirm the amounts.
I want to make 2 stock solutions, 1 x micros & 1x macro.
From page 1 ,
(Post #1)
500 ml solution, 20 ml per 50 gallon
Add 31.545 Gram Solufeed 2:1:4
Add 5.721 gram
Solufeed Sodium Free TEC
My tanks are low tec, no CO2
Water report attached (ph 7.1 - 7.5)

Attachments

• water_report.doc
    63 KB · Views: 126
Back