• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Submersible Pump for Water Changes

pat1cp

Looking for a recommendation for a submersible pump to perform water changes.

I've bought a couple of the cheap ones off amazon and whilst they complete the task, I'm on my 2nd one in 6 months and the 2nd one is making some knarly noises already. Cheap isn't always cheerful !!!

Thanks in advance.

I did buy one from eBay back in 2007 for £13 that I still use today! It's only 480lph so on my current tank takes around 15-20 minutes to empty 70-80%, buy something that is labelled immersible for ponds, those should be reliable!

I usually just syphon the water out to the garden and use the pump to fill only. I shall I have a look at pond pumps. Was thinking about the eheim Compact 1000, but many people say that their quality has been going the wrong way.

I have used these for a few years hooked to a canister and they never gave me an issue...

www.aliexpress.com/item/4000182143341.html?

They are quite affordable and of good quality... And come with several threaded versions to screw hose couplers to it. Tho they can't stand running dry for long and will burn out... Thus have no thermal protection... Keep an eye on it they don't run dry too long. And you would need a suitable PSU to run it. In the case of the 12-volt version, you'll need a DC 12 volt - 2 amp power supply... Which could be a pretty standard household power adapter you might already have. But are not really expensive.

You could easily regulate its turnover with a DC 12 volt (PWM) Motor controller if needed. That also comes pretty cheaply.
www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20220207041927&SearchText=12+volt+motor+speed+controller

Back