• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

sump cleaning

danmil3s

i know every one cleans out there filter regularly, it always seems to be to help with the flow. if im using a sump does it matter how much muck builds up. as long as its still flowing or will the dirt cause issues in the tank. my sump is full of alfagrog only.

Hi Dan,
Excessive detritus can cause overload of the filter will allows ammonium to spill out into the tank and which has been implicated in some algal forms such as BGA. Naturally, this happens more quickly in a high energy tank. It is always good practice to clean your filtration system.

Cheers,

thanks Clive thought that as the case just wanted to ask. quite a task to clean.

Just do a little bit every few weeks or so. No need to do it all in one go. You're just trying to keep the waste buildup from getting out of hand, that's all. It's the same story with the substrate. Detritus tend to build up there too and can cause problems. One can vacuum and area of say, 10%-20% of total substrate area/volume at a time. Make life easy...

Cheers,

unfortunately its all or nothing with my sump. need to drag it out in the garden, then hose it off with the syphoning tank water. or all the muck just ends up getting pumped in to the tank.
when my glass sump cracked during a Sunday morning water change i had to come up with something as a temp repair fast. but the repair saves me half my co2 gas so ive stuck with it.
ive got a 60l staples "really useful box" with 19l "really useful box" full of alfagrog in side. (i also have a sponge pre filter so most of the big stuff is caught in that) ive cut holes in all the right places the boxs to allow for water flow through the media. and holes for my pump and over flow system to connect. been set up now for a couple of months cleaned a couple of times guess it will get easer. next i need to rig up an auto top up pump.
i don't mind cleaning all the gravel got loads of time takes so long to get the %50 water out. now my Versailles are starting to grow need a plan for cleaning between them. was thinking about leaving that to last.then using the refill hose to stir it up and then syphoning it straight out.

Unfortunately alfagrog, while it has a high surface area, does tend to act like a great sediment trap as it has such a convoluted surface which creates slow flow areas which settle out debris. Your only choice is to regularly clean that area out or switch the media to one that is less likely to trap dirt. However 'grog is a good media so if it ain't broke don't fix it - just bear in mind the limits of the system (which every system has).

alfagrog does seem to do a very good job i much prefer it to sponges. and due to the design of the sump there is a bit that the muck collects in. i dont think with only a single compartment a sump would work very well with any other media. and i dont really want to change the design so far 35kg of co2 has lasted 3 months. 10 kg a month seems better than before and now its at maxim if i add any more fish are unhappy couldn't do that before . if the flow drops even a little bit the pump runs dry so ill know if it does get clogged. but 24000lph of wave makes cover flow anyway but i think ill just stick to every 4 weeks for a clean maybe ill stretch it to 6 but keep an eye on the build up.

sorry flygja forgot to say its a 750l tank so uses a bit of gas and 342w of t5 probably has a bit to do with it as well. i was using 10kg month. now i hope it will be less with the new sump. 36kg of gas has so far lasted just over 3.5 months, so its an improvement. have to see when it runs out. i need to get some cheap scales to weigh it.too see how its doing. don't think the wife would be to happy if i use her glass ones.

Back