• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Taiwan bee water parameters.

Would akadama be a good substrate or any black substrate type ebi gold is better for taiwan bees?
I would prefer the ebi black substrate myself.I found it difficult to get hold of in Italy so i used Shirakura red bee sand instead.But i know most of the members on our forum plump fo the ebi substrate.Cheers Mark.

Hi Vic i think someone mentioned Basil as regards getting Taiwan F1 in another thread,that's a good idea.There are also other members keeping Taiwan bees as well that might have some surplus.I would not be of much help as i live in Italy and had a hell of a job getting hold of any.I have now managed to get some and put them in late on thursday.They have settled in nicely:)And i am well chuffed with them:happy:I will try and get a few pics up soon!Cheers Mark.

+ 1 on that recommendation. UK bred shrimp from a guy who knows what he's doing

Very nice indeed! I'm just cycling my tank and as I used ada amazonia it will take a bit more work. Thanks for the input.

Hello Dane !
What salts are u using to re-mineralise the water? According to your experience are blue bolts always better at that TDS level or is just only in your set up and in other tanks they could breed with high survival rate at lower TDS ?

I always use Salty Shrimp GH+, readily available, cheap and does the job perfectly. Freshwater Shrimp (ukaps sponsor) sells it.

No, blue bolts are not always best at that level! I was just trying to explain not to be too caught up and panicky over TDS. Aim for a TDS of 150 and take it from there. Most my other tanks with king kong, red ruby etc have a much lower TDS. I have a couple tanks with blue bolt and they vary massively. It all depends on genetics.

The most important parameter to keep an eye on is nitrates!

If you get your shrimp from a UK breeder then they will have a good understanding of their shrimp and the requirements. Any breeder will be happy to tell you what water parameters they keep their shrimp in if your buying some from them. If its your first time keeping this variety of shrimp then i suggest buying some hybrids (f1 generation) These shrimp will look like normal CRS/CBS but carry the 'taiwan' gene. Once they start breeding you will see some taiwan babies. Doing it this way the taiwans will adapt much better because they will be born in your tank with your parameters. Hybrids are also much cheaper so your not losing a fortune if things go wrong.

two ukaps members, basil and madlan both have UK bred hybrids and taiwans. If your on facebook try and find Amie Shrimp (tommy) also.

Hello Dane,

thank you so much for such a complete response. I'm just chatting with my Spanish friends using ada amazonia squa soil just to get an input on how to fast cycle this substrate that is very good but at initial stages leach ammonia.

Again, thanks a lot for your reply
Vic

I bought 12.Did not know but the guy sent me 6 red hybrids and 6 black hybrids which is quite nice.All of them are pretty young shrimp which he said would be easier to aclimatise,which makes sense.He breed them himself so he gave me some infomation about how he kept them which helps too:)
How many f1 you bought to start?

Yes, that the amount am looking for about.. Once my tank is cycled :)

Nice pics & set up Mark nice deep substrate as well perfect for your shrimp
Hope you get some nice TB from the F1 shrimp
Thanks Graham:)I am very pleased with everything up till now,all the shrimp are looking healthy and behaving normaly.A lot better than my first attempt at a RCS tank was thanks to good advice from guys on here:)And good shrimp from a honest supplier.Cheers Mark

2014-03-15%2014.26.53.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/s54w3cbvbasb1r4/2014-03-15 14.26.53.jpg
Some of the shrimp getting stuck in to a mullberry leaf.

Back