• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tank concept help

yukko

Hello.
Planning my first bigger tank (around 400 liters). And kind of lost. I want it to be long lasting without restarts (aiming for 10 years), attractive and low maintenance.
Was thinking about biotop-like tank with rio-nanay angels as a dominant fish. But even if i will not use leaf litter, and use sand as a substarate, not sure about long term maintenance. As wood in the tank will not allow me to clean bottom of the tank properly.
Plus this type of tank needs a lot of floating plants. What prevents, i think, using a sump. Which i was planing to plumb to sewage system for easy water changes. And in hope for tank to be quieter.
Second option i am considering is more traditional planted tank. But i do not know how to make it (plants) uptake enough waste and not to be a trimming madness.
Will be thankful for any advice, idea, or conversation.

I don't think a sump rules out floating plants - how were you planning on plumbing it? You can use a guard around an overflow to stop the floating plants being an issue. You can also grow floating plants in rings so they are limited to particular areas.

You could also consider emersed plants, they take up a lot of nutrients but because they are above the water line they are easier to maintain. A lot of plants sold as houseplants grow very well with their roots in the top of an aquarium.

Another option, or part of a combination, would be to grow plants in your sump. They could then potentially be easier to access and cut back. You can also select for fast growing plants rather being limited to plants that suited your tank.

Thinking about wood placement will make cleaning easier - give yourself space near the glass for cleaning. Attaching wood to a base (slate or egg crate) or using rocks can make it easier to postition the wood where you want without leaning it against the glass.

Corydoras might be a good addition to stir up the substrate so any mulm is lifted into the water column to be caught by the filter.

I don't think a sump rules out floating plants - how were you planning on plumbing it? You can use a guard around an overflow to stop the floating plants being an issue. You can also grow floating plants in rings so they are limited to particular areas.
I like to have strong light above the tank. In case of black water biotop it would be good to block almost all of the light by floating plant to prevent algae inside the tank. But I feel it might be dangerous. Someday floaters may block overflow and flood the floor. Maybe just go with external filters in that type of tank... Regarding sump plumbing. I thought to drill a hole high in the sump and plumb it to sewer so i can add as much water as i want to it - access just will go out.

You could also consider emersed plants, they take up a lot of nutrients but because they are above the water line they are easier to maintain. A lot of plants sold as houseplants grow very well with their roots in the top of an aquarium.
I though about it. But monstera or pothos will take all the space above the tank and will look kind of chaotically. Plus i want to utilize space above the tank for dwarf orchids or other small tropical plants. Even thought of making back and side pannels of aquarium higher than front one to glue lava rock or cork bark to have some space for plants. But am worried that tank might start looking bulky and asymmetrical.

Thinking about wood placement will make cleaning easier - give yourself space near the glass for cleaning. Attaching wood to a base (slate or egg crate) or using rocks can make it easier to postition the wood where you want without leaning it against the glass.
Good point about the glass.
Before I used Soil or JBL manado for planted tanks. It is good for growing plants for a couple of years. But it is problematic to siphon it and as a result I ended up restarting tanks every couple of years. My idea was to have some sand or graven on the bottom. And have minimal abstractions to clean or change it. That way I hoped for keeping tank for longer. But again, if you do not add massive wood - you do not have place to mount plants above the water. Looks like I want too much from one project=)

Corydoras might be a good addition to stir up the substrate so any mulm is lifted into the water column to be caught by the filter.
That's it. Flow + Corydoras + sand/small gravel and it might start looking after itself. I even thought to fit in hypancistrus, but thats too much catfish maybe.

You may find this video helpful:
It discusses plant species and ways to attach them above the waterline including using planters. The two plants you mentioned (monstera or pothos) are both very large and sprawling, but there are much smaller options that might suit you better. I've ferns growing from mine, which I feel is more controlled rather than a climbing plant which requires more training to make it fit and look good.

You might find planters along the back with ferms or similar would give you a nice backdrop of folliage and provide some shade. You could then be selective about the amount of wood and then limit the wood occupants to orchids.

Also consider lighting - you could for example use spot light rather than a strip - focus one side more on wood/plants with a light above and leave the other side more open with easy access but with only indirect light or a second spot but set much dimmer. Many lights offer brightness controls now so you can limit light that way rather than just by shading with floaters.

I do think you can achieve all the aspects you'd like but it will take carefully planning to make it all practical. It's good to think about things like access for cleaning - it's often overlooked.

here are much smaller options that might suit you better. I've ferns growing from mine
Understood. Will try tropical ferns.

I was thinking about something like this:

Never saw such a setups in person. And little worried it might end up gloomy/depressing, not pleasant in the long run.
But iridescent fish should look good and roots of emersed plants should not look out of place.
All epiphyte tank is a tempting option as well. As I understand, it will require CO2 and will be more focused on plant rather than fish.
But, well lit hanging garden of anubias and bucephalandra is more safe in terms of family approval. Maybe.

Thank you, for your advises! Very helpful for me.

Sand substrate looks after itself really if you have decent flow and especially if you have some catfish to stir it up. It’s far too fine for waste to get trapped in it.

Corydoras and hypancistrus will be fine in a tank that size. Just remember most hypancistrus like their water quite warm and a lot of corydoras don’t, although there are quite a few species that are compatible.

Cheers

Back