• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The easiest way to do a 40% water change?

small pond pump or a power head hooked to a hose will work fine :) failing that hose directly onto the tap mains pressure will cover any distance no problems

I want to premix the water before the tank so I'll need a pump. (The bath tap is a funny shape). Just wondering what I can get away with really.

I want to premix the water before the tank so I'll need a pump. (The bath tap is a funny shape). Just wondering what I can get away with really.

Hi mate. I use one of these. The 1000 Variation - 150/1000lph
http://www.swelluk.com/aquarium/pumps-and-powerheads-33/water-pumps-206/eheim-compact-pumps-290.html

I connect some 16 mm hose pipe, drop it in the tank and pump out 50%. I have a 80 litre storage container outside which I fill with tap water and condition it. I then drop the pump in the storage container and pump the treated water back into the tank. Simples. :thumbup:
The flow is fully adjustable on these units aswell, so you could use it in the tank to generate some extra flow also if you wanted to?

Great. Thanks guy's. :clap:

I use a 1.5inch hose to drain then a hosepipe coneceted to the kitchen tap to fill but my new idea is to get a 200l or 300l waterbutt, fill it with water the night before and let it get to room temp then add dechlorinator (seahem safe) then when I want to do a wc I can just drain water out the door into the garden and pump the water from the waterbutt using a fast pump. Can anyone think of any problems with my idea? It would make water changes so much easier and faster I could do them twice a week.

Can't see a problem with your idea, but it will save you using de chlorinator. Leaving the water standing overnight does the job of chlorine evaporating.
:)

I thought about the chlorine evaporating but I thought as a water butt has a small surface area all the chlorine wouldnt evaporate.Im gonna get some seachem safe,its a dry powder dechlorinator and you can get 250g for £13.39 off ebay and I think that will treat 150,000l of water.

Back