• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

the shoal update

piranha growing and getting some colour now
tank still not ready for the journal yet, wont be long, just need to empty a bucket of plants into the tank, getting lazy.

pGOfmDz.jpg

Your fish seem to be doing a lot of damage to each others fins? For me Piranha Tank videos are less about the planting and tank and more about Piranha eating!

when the fish are young they nip each others fins to establish dominance, once the pecking order is established it usually sorts itself out.
will be a couple of months yet, its usually around sexual maturity.
in the wild a lot of piranha feed from other fishes fins as its good protein and constant food as they grow back all the time, and very quickly

I have them in a 125g at the moment, the next tank will be 250g. we are just viewing property at the moment, I wont buy the new tank until I have the new house, cant be bothered wit all the hassle of moving tanks

thanks tim, its getting there, have enevr done a planted tank before so I don't expect it to be great but its definitely a lot better than it was :D

Wow these are beasts. !! My tank looks so delicate to this , put a few of these in and I wouldn't have a scape left. .
Very cool though : )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

, I wont buy the new tank until I have the new house

It would be annoying to set up a new tank just to have to take it down. I had 3 piranha when I was a teenager(long time ago!) in a 3ft tank but they never damaged each others fins. obviously they eventually got too big and went back to the lfs. There wasn't the internet back then(80's) so you couldn't just google a fish and join a forum to get the info. Mine got jumpy as they got bigger and would probably have benifited from lots of plants in the tank.

cheers guys. mine have just started to get a bit skittish some times, annoying.
last shoal was on and off also.
the big 16" black piranha wasn't skittish at all, but I guess hes like king of the piranha, and at a huge size hes up the food chain a lot higher than my 3" piranha lol. with time they will be ok I think, they are a bit better because theres a lot of them, but if one freaks out they all do

Back