• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

UV Filters - Whats your experience?

I use a UV filter in both my densely planted 150L tanks (9w Green Killing Machine) . For me it's just an extra guard rail against certain pathogens and certain algae and spores suspended in the water column. The UV filter wont discriminate between good and bad bacteria, so that may be a downside. However, most of the bacteria we rely on lives in the substrate. The efficacy depends on a multitude of factors, including intensity of the UV light, exposure time (i.e. flow throughout the UV filter vs. UV lamp strength etc.). By no means should deploying a UV filter be thought of as a substitute for proper maintenance such as water changes, appropriate stocking level vs plant mass, filtration/flow etc. I haven't had algae issues or health issues with my livestock for ages, but to what extent that can be attributed to the UV filters is anyones guess.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
By no means should deploying a UV filter be thought of as a substitute for proper maintenance such as water changes, appropriate stocking level vs plant mass, filtration/flow etc. I haven't had algae issues or health issues with my livestock for ages, but to what extent that can be attributed to the UV filters is anyones guess.
Yep, that sounds like a very sensible summary. It's a good add-on, but it should never be considered a replacement.

Back