• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Vacuuming substrate

Val1311

Just checked parameters and for first time ammonia levels spiked at 1-3 even though I’ve been doing regular water changes. Nitrate, ph & nitrite fine. No probs before. 2 zebra snails sadly deceased. Can only assume substrate needs vacuuming? I’ve disposed of dead snails. Done another 30% water change. How do you vacuum sand substrate in a small 80 litre tank (approx 16”x20” base) that is quite heavily planted with rocks for hiding places? I cannot get the end of the vacuum in between the rocks and plants without disturbing them. There simply is no room! Is vacuuming necessary or are water changes enough? Help! Val

Just checked parameters and for first time ammonia levels spiked at 1-3 even though I’ve been doing regular water changes. Nitrate, ph & nitrite fine. No probs before. 2 zebra snails sadly deceased. Can only assume substrate needs vacuuming? I’ve disposed of dead snails. Done another 30% water change. How do you vacuum sand substrate in a small 80 litre tank (approx 16”x20” base) that is quite heavily planted with rocks for hiding places? I cannot get the end of the vacuum in between the rocks and plants without disturbing them. There simply is no room! Is vacuuming necessary or are water changes enough? Help! Val

You said you had an ammonia spike - how did you measure this (which test kit?) and what did you measure (ppm / mg/L)? what's your stocking level and plant mass? do you know your pH level by any chance? how old is your tank? posting a picture of your tank would be helpful as well.

I no longer vaccum my tanks.... it's close to impossible anyway due to the plant density.... I only have a few spots where I sometimes get some concerning detritus buildup where my internal filters can't reach, but the problem is similar to what you describe... I basically just wave my hand gently close to the substrate to stir up the detritus without actually disturbing the substrate and suck up the debris with the hose when I do WC's.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
I made sure I have an empty space (only sand) at the front and make sure no plants grow there. That way I can waft my small paddle, disturb all the dirt around the tank and then vacuum the open space. All about an hour before water change and filter clean. Seems to keep it down.

I believe that accumulating detritus is always a sign of sub-optimal oxygen regime. It's an unproven theory, I admit, and I'd like to know better. By the way, this is one of the instances where a reliable dissolved oxygen meter would come handy.

Hi all,
I believe that accumulating detritus is always a sign of sub-optimal oxygen regime.
I think you are right, but it depends a little bit on the nature of the organic debris and <"whether you have shrimps and snails"> (or other <"tank janitors">).

The other situation, where you might get an accumulation of organic debris, is if the water is very nutrient poor and acidic (blackwater) in that case you aren't likely to be able to keep tank janitors (of any description) and <"microbial action will be much reduced">.

cheers Darrel

In my tanks, it's usually snail feces which occasionally accumulate. I take it for a signal that something went wrong with my microbes, but my attempts to solve such situations (improved oxygenation, adjusting pH a bit higher, bacterial inoculation) don't render clear results. I can only say that such situations tend to occur in the periods of temperature change (summer, late autumn).
Actually, these instances of tanks inexplicably getting out of equilibrium are my prime concern recently. Everything goes smoothly for many months, and then, without any apparent change in maintenance, something gets wrong. Detritus appears, or algae proliferate, signs like that. Is it all a consequence of temperature change? If that is the case, I'd be forced to add heating to my tanks.

Hi Val -

- how much planting do you have?
-what kind of filtration do you have?

Planting is as photo. 80 litre tank and a Fluval 307 filter.
image.jpg

Hi @Val1311

A couple of questions.
  1. I can't see from the photo, but there does not seem to be much aeration (choppy waves or an airstone etc). Is that correct?
  2. How much are you feeding at the moment?
  3. Have you just cleaned your filter in the last week? If so, what and how did you clean it?
  4. If you take a deep sample of your substrate (place it into a cup and bring it out of the water) and you smell the substrate, does it smell bad?
  5. Is there anything you have done in the last week (no matter how small) which you can let us know about?
  6. What is your filter you are running?

Looking at your photo, my perception is that [1] you are not really that heavily planted, and [2] your rockwork is rather "clogged". I may be utterly wrong here, since photos can be deceptive. However, one way forward might be to alter the rock work so that it has a more vertical footprint, rather than a horizontal footprint. In other words, the rocks don't lie on so much of the gravel. This will thus free up more of the tank for heavier planting. If you can also add some floating plants, that will also help with your water quality.

I am also keen to hear from @Val1311 on the questions asked. The water also looks a little milky, so we need to dig into that as well.

Back