• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What is the routine for cleaning an Eheim External?

Whitebeam

I feel really dumb asking such a basic question, but the pipes of my (relatively) new Eheim look like they need cleaning and I'm sure that there is a right and a wrong way to do this.

I have the Eheim brush-on-a-thick-nylon-monofilament. What is the correct way to use this? If it makes any difference, my intake pipe is the green shepherd's crook that came with the filter; my outlet is the grey installation kit feeding a full length spray bar.

As a final touch, should I use the pump to flush some water through the pipes and into a bucket to dump? I don't want to get filter/pipe gunk into the tank after all that?

Peter

i would just remove the pipes away from the tank and into a bucket or bath the get scrubbing with the brush if bit gets stuck in the tubes or you want to flush them out use a tap or a submersible pump for ease but you could use the filter

Hi

The best way to clean external piping is to remove them from the filter unit and place them into the kitchen sink or bath and flush / clean using tap water - if you pipes are long go for the bath. As for the eheim brush with the nlyon cord - feed the cord into the pipe until it come out of the other end - then pull the cord and the brush part will clean the pipes as you pull it through, you may have to do this a couple of time depending on how dirty your pipes are.

NB. Dont forget to clean out the bath after.

Regards
paul.

Back