• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What to add first. Opinions

•Cai•

Hi all, another post from myself,
This particular one is more me being undecided on my choice of fauna to be added. Well, more on which to add first.
I intend on having the following in my tank.
•ottos
•shrimp
•Galaxy/celestial danios
These I know are what I'd like in my tank.
However, what should be added first,if at all.
I know in general the cleaning crew are thrown in first but is that always the case?
I'm going tomorrow/Thursday if I get chance

My advice would be that if you're using CO2, get some bigger fish. My experience has been that anything tetra/danio size won't cope well with optimal CO2 levels, they tend to jump ship one by one... I've found that the bigger fish can deal with more CO2.

Ottos on the other hand tend to have a reputation for being sensitive fish, but I've found these little guys to be some of the toughest. Once I nuked my tank with CO2 and they were the sole survivors. They're also really good indicators of when you have too much CO2 - they start to climb the glass. The higher they are, the more stress they're under. If they go to the surface then you know you have too much CO2.

I like danios as I have hard water and I've read they do very well in harder water than most. That's good to hear on ottos however.
Surely though the same concentration of co2 will affect any fish big or little. Bigger they are the more they need to breathe in and vice versa?

I have Dwarf Rainbows and Harlequins, they both seem to be equally affected if CO2 gets a touch high.

Not sure it is as easy as size when it comes to CO2 acceptability.

As long as the tank is well filtered I would add in order of whichever takes your fancy. I read somewhere that shrimp like a nicely matured tank, so I think I set mine up in order of ottos, cpd's (brilliant little fish), red cherries. I dose liquid carbon, so for me CO2 in that tank hasnt been an issue.

Back