• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

White spot on tail of neon tetra

MMonis

Hey folks,

I have noticed that today only 2 of my neon tetras have a white spot only on their tail. It isn't across their body so I am guessing its not Ich and maybe something else. The remaining 9 neon tetras seem to be fine with no such spots.
The tank has been running since 8 months now and the fish have also been around the same time. No new additions of fish, plants or decor since a couple of months, so not quite sure what actually caused this.:rolleyes:
Also one of my harlequin rasboras (out of the 4) seem to be loosing color.

Tested the water with API test kit and Ammonia and Nitrite are 0. Nitrate around 40 (tap water also is around the same).

fish_white_spot_tail_1.jpg
fish_white_spot_tail_2.jpg

Can I get some advice on what medication should I use and how to go about curing the infected tetras ? I also have some cherry shrimps and amano shrimps in the tank.

Regards,
Mel

I wouldn’t use this around invertebrates it’s not safe for your Shrimp, the Malachite Green is replete with copper and the methylene blue will stain the silicone seams in your tank blue.

Treat the fish only in a separate container if you can’t source the eSHa products and this is all you can source (eSHa 2000 and Exit are shrimp safe, 2000 may harm snails).

:)

I treated them with esha exit for a 5 day routine as per the dosage instructions but the 2 neon tetras still seem to have that white spot on their tail. I could not dose esha 2000 as its difficult to find it here.

I also have now noticed that a couple of my harlequin rasboras are pooping white flaky things. Its not stringy but tiny flake like. Could this be an indication of something and related to the neon tetra white spot tail issue ?

At first though this could be as simple as digestive tract mucosal shedding but Flake like objects sounds suspiciously like Tapeworm segments replete with eggs being shed. Any internal tapeworms that have died would be absorbed through the digestive tract so only live segments are shed, there’s a possibility that dosing the exit has triggered this to happen and it’s a last ditch effort by the parasite to ensure survival of offspring.

I would try and grab a sample and see if you can get a really close ID, if this is not possible I would probably dose a medication that kills Nematoda just to be sure. Ideally you want a Levamisole based anti parasitic as it’s already provided as a liquid preparation and as such easy to dose. If you want to stay with eSHa products then NDX is very effective.

:)

Back