• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Yeast Co2

L_Plates

Hello i have a 60litre tank and i am thinking of setting up the yeast Co2 method.

I have a couple of questions i hope you could help out with.

1. How long will i need to have the C02 active during the day ? Do i leave it going all the time ?

2. Whats the best way to defuse the Co2 into the tank ? should i buy a deffuser like this one http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Spio-III-CO2-Diff ... 6343wt_905

3. How many bubbles per second or minute for for a 60 litre is needed.

Cheers
LP

Hello LP

Search this forum as there is some good info from George RE DIY yeast

I keep my DIY on all the time as theres no way to switch off, unless you physically remove or have an escape valve etc rigged into the sytem.

I put the air bubbles on at night to drive off co2 while the lights are switched off - This definitely is worthwile as the fish's health did suffer before adopting this tactic

I have 2 x 2l bottles so I can stagger the bottle changes

I place the airline from my yeast bottles directly into the external filter intake - This dissolves all the co2 within the filter - occasionaly I get some bubbles coming out the spraybar. Ive never used the diffuser you've linked to but I'm sure there's potentially issues with not enough system pressure for the diffuser to function effectively or as it should - perhaps someone could comment. There are a host of reactor type setups using a powerhead to diffuse the co2 - check this out online. All said and done though, I'm happy with my method, although there are reports of rubber seals in the cannister deteriorating, I'm not to fussed but worth considering before taking this route

I get around 30 drops per minute but this depends on house temp and oviously the health of the yeast mix etc. I change bottles around every 4 weeks

It is satisfying to play with this setup and you can't knock it - especially if on a budget or just starting out and experimenting before investing in a pressurised system.

There's a sticky on this...
In this section....

Yeast co2 is 24/7, you CANNOT have it come on and off at will.
Depending on you mix you can diffuse the co2 a few different ways, airstone or if you have a strong mix you can get the pressure to push it through a glass diffuser .
Bubbles per second also depends on your mix, look for around 3bps.

Again, always best to look around, the sticky will give you a real good bit of info on diy co2.

Cheers for the replies, i have made a quick setup that will feed the bubbles straight into my filter. Just letting the sugar and yeast fermenting to see what bubble count i get.

Cheers
LP

Just to let you know if you can run it through a separate empty bottle just in case the froth runs high or the bottle gets knocked over. When I was running DIY co2 there were times when yeast would froth and enter the tank! Not what you want as it gets everywhere and kills the fish :(

Johno2090 said:
Just to let you know if you can run it through a separate empty bottle just in case the froth runs high or the bottle gets knocked over. When I was running DIY co2 there were times when yeast would froth and enter the tank! Not what you want as it gets everywhere and kills the fish :(

Yeh i added one after reading the guide, cheers. Bubble counter as they call it ?

That's the one! I call it the insurance plan!

Here is a quck video i made, sorry about the camera being the wrong way round :D

http://www.youtube.com/embed/O6DqZcd870w

Do you think this will be ok ?

The co2 goes in the front of the filter and you can see and here the Co2 coming out the top.

Cheers LP

Changed it around a little so its not stuck straight into the filter but under it. The co2 bubble gets sucked it and sent out the top in nice small bubbles.

http://youtu.be/Gh-0Flz8h74

Is this ok until i get my hands on a diffuser ?

LP

Hello mate, I can't quite see the bubbles coming out of the filter (watching on blackberry) but a can see the bubbles going in, and a few are missing, is there anyway you can have the tube close to the inlets?

You wouldn't NEED a diffuser if the bubble where going straight into the inlets and getting chucked around the aquarium by the filter.

MAKE SURE!! You have a stop valve/non return valve....

nayr88 said:
Hello mate, I can't quite see the bubbles coming out of the filter (watching on blackberry) but a can see the bubbles going in, and a few are missing, is there anyway you can have the tube close to the inlets?

You wouldn't NEED a diffuser if the bubble where going straight into the inlets and getting chucked around the aquarium by the filter.

MAKE SURE!! You have a stop valve/non return valve....

Cheers for the reply, i agree a few do miss the inlet and i will have a work around tonight. When they come out of the filter they are all over the tank nice really small bubbles.

I have a check valve on the setup aswell :)

Hello again, just a quick update. I now have the setup running and i am getting 2 bubbles per second into the tank that goes straight into the filter. Is this ok ?

Also i have a drop checker in place but the liquid has not changed from a dark green which i believe means insufficient Co2 is this correct ?

Cheers LP

http://www.ukaps.org/drop-checker.htm have a look at that mate.

A nice lime green colour is what you want but I never used a drop checker with Yeast co2 :/
What mixture are you using? Ratio wisze?

2bps is a good rate and being churned up and flung around the tank by the filter is cool.

2 x 2l bottles.

In each bottle is 2 cups of sugar and 7mg of yeast. Then filled with water to just under 3/4 full of water.

Nayr How do you know if you have enough / to much co2 in the tank ?

LP

You have enough when your Drop checker is a lime green colour.
If you have to much yourll have a yellow colour, or your fish will be gasping...

Blue means not enough
Yellow means too much

Green is right :)

Back