• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

your expert opinion please regarding substrate

halla86

Seedling
I have a rio 240 litre tank up and running for almost a year now but want to change things around. It is a community tank as it was my first tank and filled with mainly tetras ( congos tetras, columbian tetras, neon tetras and dayglows)
I also have three angels in there with some rosy barbs.
But my problem is when i bought the tank i wasnt advised well on substrate at all and oly have gravel in my tank ( about 4 inches of gravel) so all the plants at the moment are in little clay pots. not ideal i know but isnt hindsight a wonderful thing?
So long term is it ok to keep plants in the clay pots? they seem to be growing fine, in saying that i think elodea densa and crypts will grow anywhere. But id love to plant more different types of plants in the near future but not sure if i need soil/clay for rooting plants long term??
If i do how do i go about it if the tank is already established???
Also if its too late/ far too much hassle to add soil or clay now the tank is up and running will it hinder my selection of plants i can add to my tank???

Plants can get ferts from either the substrate or the water column.

As long as you supply sufficient and regular nutrients to the water (either via fish waste, or by dosing ferts, or a combo) then having a gravel substrate will not restrict you in any way at all.

Back