• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Zen, Darwinism, & an idot (spell corr- Idiot)

jaisol

Ahhh I woke up a few months back thinking I want some goldfish, I used to have lionheads some years ago and quiet liked them.....
So lets have a go, read up on the latest ideas, buy a tank, and go for it.
The hobby seems to have changed a bit, I used to throw water in a container, wait a day for the chlorine to dissipate, throw some green things in with several drops(shakes) of baby bio, wait a week and add swimmy things (fish), change some water weekly, and watch them swim around... As time went by add more plants, fish, tanks & then dig a big hole in the garden and throw most of the contents into said big hole, just keeping a couple of indoor tanks.

Well 2022, haven't things changed much, the big one is CO2, who would have thought 10 year old fire extinguishers would be unsafe and given away (YEAH H&S) and cheap "ying tan" control gear, would be available. In my opinion best kept in the garden and use cheap tubing to pipe into the house. (As a side note CO2 is used to euthanase small animals in labs. It will do big animals who stand on two legs as well.. check how rusty the metal cylinders are before putting them in you "living" room ).
What else, "nano" tanks, mmmmm I think this may be a "university room" thing, I saw the tiny place my daughter was offered, and the price... she came along and suggested buying a house interest only and renting rooms out etc, Small to me is for growing plants, breeding pairs, isolation.
Last thing, folk seem obsessed with numbers, and creating dream environments that are on a knife edge. - this to me is crazy. Yes if you want plant growth add some fertilisers, algea reduce light, ph add lime stone / peat water, but gradually for the inhabitants.

Well 3 months after waking up and wanting some goldfish.
I bought a super duper tank, 4ft x 18"w x 2ft deep, WOW
Filled it up after leaving it on the floor for a month or two, I have pictures of lifting it up balanced on a sofa arm on to its stand.
I ran a hose pipe from the garden to the tank it "just" reached, so I limbo ed into the kitchen to make a cuppa, heard some creaking and thought "that's unusual" never mind kettle is near boiling, made brew heard some more creaking, limboed and straddled into living room sat on sofa arm and watched it fill up, more tuts and ticks sounds and it was within 2" to the top when there was a dull thud, I put my tea down and looked at the pretty square ripples, that's unusual and ran to the garden to invert the hose so it drained the tank.

Tank drained, the center brace was F. cracked, now braced with SS threaded bar.

Also for any "idot" folk there are now different types of silicone sealant, fish tanks, should use "high modulus" I thieved from work some black builders silicone made by evo stick :) turn out it sets very soft in a month or two but is easily removed by white spirit, or meths, nice to work with you can clean it up 3 or 4 days later. Not like the silicone you need to use on tanks, 15 - 20 mins before it's a head ace.

Anyway May 7 2022

A few various sized tanks all empty
3 goldfish, two loach? and mabe a shrimp - in a small tank

Photos to follow

Shheeee,
Rants inflation, "v" wages, you know, you see it every day.
fish, tanks, plumbing, plants.. a devilish skill, ali bongo does not work, even when I say it three times.
LOL
I went round a few aquaruim shops, they all looked somewhat run down, plants are about 50p a strand, good plants are 2 for an hour of my life £8 a pop. WOW
Anyone with local, bb9 . off cuts call me ...please, Seriously any off cuts or any plants. 4ft tanks suddenly look big

If your struggling for a LFS better to get esp. Plants from sponsers on here.

I don't have a problem buying plants from LFS. If we don't support our LFS they'll eventually close down.
At least buying plants from them is better than buying bottles of 'magic water' (and some say... test kits....) 😆

LFS ?
ESP?
I sure it means something to you :)
?? want to give me a clue?

This forum/ place loves acronyms.

Wait till I ask about Algea LOL

still need any cheap plants Blackburn area, will do preston, manchester next week,

Spent a few quid on ebay this week & going to The yorkshire show at the weekend, not looking at magic or free will pay!
I won't take the micky out of magic stuff, hey its magic :)

Mmm
My Appolgies to everyone who was offended, or feels i was rude. I'm in the 60 year group, so if I ask LFS? it would be nice to see an equals = sign.
One is not phycic (can't read ya mind)
Lets jog on and grow plants :)

I don't have a problem buying plants from LFS. If we don't support our LFS they'll eventually close down.
At least buying plants from them is better than buying bottles of 'magic water' (and some say... test kits....) 😆
Hi what l meant was if your LFS can't doesn't provide healthy aquarium plants use the sponsers if UK based or look for a reliable source. Some shops are very poor in the aquatic plant resource . If everything else livestock equipment food hardscape is ok of course that's how l support them. I nearly always get something fish food whatever.

Well started running 7 may, now 7 Sept, had problems, plants introduced - snails, planaria, and things that look like wood louse, planaria sorted -dog worming tablets. the rest ok.
'The palnts I introduced in May have mostly died.
I have eldoela densa? .. pond weed mainly.
The tank is for goldfish and cold water, temps 8C winter 26C height of summer
My Plants seem to die, I think I need some help, I'll put some photos up over next few days

Back