• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

BBA in CO2 injected tank

nijat11

Hello everyone.
I have 800l tank with co2 injection.
Filtration 6500l/h + maxspect xf330 on 20% during photoperiod. Lighting 8 hours during photoperiod plus sunrise and sunset.
Fertilizers EI dosing
I was dosing weekly, and 3 weeks ago I switched to automatic daily (monday, Wednesday, friday macro) other day micro + fe dtpa.
So recently I found that bba grows on my anubias and ar mini.
Any advises?

Are you saying you changed from dosing once per week to dosing 3 x per week? Is your total weekly does the same or has it increased?

Are you saying you changed from dosing once per week to dosing 3 x per week? Is your total weekly does the same or has it increased?

It is the same, just broke weekly dose into smaller 3x dose

It's said BBA in a CO2injected aquarium can be caused by poor distribution of CO2, possibly check your flow. 800litres. Might be hardscape is affecting it, try the drop checker around the tank maybe

It's said BBA in a CO2injected aquarium can be caused by poor distribution of CO2, possibly check your flow. 800litres. Might be hardscape is affecting it, try the drop checker around the tank maybe
I donnt think there is an issue with flow, in total it is around 8500l/h during photoperiod

I donnt think there is an issue with flow, in total it is around 8500l/h during photoperiod
Don’t go by turnover alone… go by flow you can actually see having an impact around the tank. Please post a Full Tank Shot (FTS). As @PARAGUAY implied, lots of algae issues in CO2 tanks (even non-CO2 tanks) comes down to poor flow/distribution.

Cheers,
Michael

Here you are. Also I have a big problem with GSA(?) which turns brown and very hard to remove from glass. I have attached photos for that algae as well.

Attachments

• photo_2024-04-01_22-55-37.jpg
    photo_2024-04-01_22-55-37.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG20240224221441.jpg
    IMG20240224221441.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 84
  • IMG20240323175312.jpg
    IMG20240323175312.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 82
Can you explain why BBA grows on CO2 diffusers?
Co2 diffusers are generally placed in the direct line of increased flow, we know bba enjoys high flow, its usually where it's found in its natural environment. These areas of higher flow are also where a lot of the organic waste (food etc) in the tank gets blasted and can accumulate on said diffuser, and we know bba just loves area's of high organic waste. Add to this that bba also likes Co2, so seeing it on a diffuser that isn't regularly cleaned is not really a mystery imo.

Anecdotally I have 2 diffusers in my tank, 1 in the downward trajectory of flow and 1 going into the inlet, the one under the inlet rarely needs cleaning and doesn't get bba growth, the one directly in the line of flow will start getting bba growth if it isn't cleaned every few weeks.

Here you are. Also I have a big problem with GSA(?) which turns brown and very hard to remove from glass. I have attached photos for that algae as well.
Your tank looks great @nijat11 ! .... I am looking at the pics on my phone btw. I don't see anything here that would make me loose any sleep... Yes, I do see a bit on some of the foreground Anubias - it actually looks more like GSA to me and not BBA (?)... You can take out the plant and gently spot treat with a bit of Seachem Excel if it really bothers your. Any leaves that are severely infected are better removed.

Cheers,
Michael

This makes interesting reading.
It also grim reading for some who like to pack as many plants into a nano as possible.
It's strange but recently I am picking up some bba on some of the tallest plants and some in higher flow areas.
Easy Carbo doesn't seem to work really well?

I know some members have packed out tanks!
How are they doing things like flow and distribution of CO2?

If I had the space I would keep plant's away from tank walls, but it's impossible.

I think to a certain extent it's better to accept things as well. These things come and they go...
I hope!

Do recommend Excel or is it basically Gluten?
APT does other treatments as well.
I'm guessing that the BBA will return though?

Thanks!

What level we call tons of light and what is elevated iron? 1 ppm?
That amount is not necessary to have BBA visibly present. Using a Fluval iron test, my tank is typically between 0.25-0.5ppm and there can be BBA growing.

I added a variable DC pump inline after the canister filter (I needed/wanted more flow because larger tank since filter purchase) and it will frequently stall and purge air. There is a notable increase in BBA growth since the modification.

I've also had a short spurt of BBA growth in a tank that does not have CO2 injection.

Funny, because BBA grows in high light and low light, also high flow and low flow, go figure ...

It grows in no water change tanks and also in continuous water change setups. It also grows in daily water change aquariums.

Apart from stabilising my CO2 and making sure it's bang on I'm unsure what else to do?
Play the waiting game for a bit.
Possibly reduce my flow.

Mine isn't too bad but I think? It's become more prolific.

If you were to snip leaves and not do too much about it. It's going to spread right?

Hello everyone.
Assuming that you have BBA could do what I did when I had a problem with it was the following, not saying it will work for you.
1) I removed all wood and similar decorations.
2) vacced the gravel (mine was 'inert') very surprised by the amount of mulm
3) removed all plants affected by bba (Anubis mainly) divided into three groups a) compost heap, b) revisit, c) treat
4) treated plants by spraying them with 1.5% glutaraldehyde solution on day one, rinse and then on day two spraying them with 10% hydrogen peroxide solution.
5) the revisited group had affected laves removed and then were treat as (4)
6) as I use rainwater/tap water blend I may introduce spores into the tank so I now add salicylic acid solution on each weekly water change.
Result no BBA, the Anubis did take a hammering but pulled through and are growing very strongly.
My tank has a x10 gross turnover but has no-flow spots but still no BBA (that is visible and I did the above about a year ago)
Hope that this is of some help, every tank is different. All the best.

Assuming that you have BBA could do what I did when I had a problem with it was the following, not saying it will work for you.
1) I removed all wood and similar decorations.
2) vacced the gravel (mine was 'inert') very surprised by the amount of mulm
3) removed all plants affected by bba (Anubis mainly) divided into three groups a) compost heap, b) revisit, c) treat
4) treated plants by spraying them with 1.5% glutaraldehyde solution on day one, rinse and then on day two spraying them with 10% hydrogen peroxide solution.
5) the revisited group had affected laves removed and then were treat as (4)
6) as I use rainwater/tap water blend I may introduce spores into the tank so I now add salicylic acid solution on each weekly water change.
Result no BBA, the Anubis did take a hammering but pulled through and are growing very strongly.
My tank has a x10 gross turnover but has no-flow spots but still no BBA (that is visible and I did the above about a year ago)
Hope that this is of some help, every tank is different. All the best.
I should try vacumming, never did it before to be honest :D

Back