• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The Magical World of Moss

LondonDragon

Administrator
UKAPS Team
Watched this yesterday, quite interesting:

Gotta love mosses! :)

Oh wait a minute!! Is it this one? It has to be I guess... :woot:
Thats the one!

I did like where in Iceland they shred the moss and add fermented milk to populate dead areas! We have seen in the hobby in DSM where you add the moss and yogurt and blend that together into a pulp and then apply to surfaces of wood and rocks to make the moss grow and spread quicker!

I did like where in Iceland they shred the moss and add fermented milk to populate dead areas! We have seen in the hobby
Yes, lots of similarities could be drawn to the aquascaping world.
I think my favourite would have to be how they painstakingly tended the moss gardens in Japan, total attention to detail, think we've seen that trait before in the under water worlds from the land of the rising sun.

Yes, lots of similarities could be drawn to the aquascaping world.
I think my favourite would have to be how they painstakingly tended the moss gardens in Japan, total attention to detail, think we've seen that trait before in the under water worlds from the land of the rising sun.
There is a series called "Monty Don's Japanese Gardens" from 2019 that is worth the watch, has more details. Just love Japanese Gardens.

I haven't seen the video yet, I'll watch it later but it did remind me of something I heard on a QI episode called miscellany once, so hope fully that isnt inthe vid.

I found this site where it is quoted

"The thing that begins with "M" and nearly destroyed the world 470 million years ago was moss. The Ordovician-Silurian extinction event occurred when the moss ate away at everything, including rocks, which caused a chemical reaction with phosphorus. This reacted with carbon dioxide and sucked it out of the atmosphere, using up nearly all the oxygen. It took over 35 million years for this process to occur."

That always fascinated me but I did forget this

"XL Tangent: There are around 14,000 species of moss in the world. The rarest moss in the world is feather moss. There is only one yard of it, on a stretch of river in the Derbyshire Peak District. The exact location is kept secret."

Back