• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

12 liter shrimp nano final update

Re: 12 liter shrimp nano week two trim

7589802834_40a5c7d44b.jpg

quick fts after water change trimmed micranthemum right down hopefully get it quite bushy, crypt coming along nicely still no melt lilaeopsis leaves melted a bit just starting to see new leaves and not much algae a little diatoms on the glass.shrimp lots of babies and fun to watch just really hard to get decent pics of them
cheers for looking :thumbup:

Re: 12 liter shrimp nano six weeks in

progress with the tank hasnt gone to plan 35 days straight at work and not much time for anything other than the odd water change and sleep :lol: lilaeopsis covered in bba crypt the same micranthemum lacking ferts (been slack with them and was lean dosing anyway) got an external for the tank boyu ef 05 not the best but cheap and hopefully better than the hob i was using only thing doing well in the tank is the cherries third batch of babies mouching around.last day of work tommorow for three weeks so i'll try n get some pics up and hopefully get back on top of the tank rather than tear it down may be a better option though :lol:

couple of pic updates
7824695102_91ac0c0c34.jpg

bba on lilaeopsis micranthemum lacking ferts co2 or flow issues probably all three :lol: gsa all over the landscape rocks
7824700348_515468b6d9.jpg

all in all tanks not bringing me much joy in this state
so i have spent a couple of days pulling up plants and giving them an out of tank liquid carbon bath sacked the landscape rock in favour of some baltic rock from aqua essentials two days of small water changes and replanted this afternoon tank now looks like this
7824705690_211e94ebd0.jpg

im happier with the overall look crypt balansae behind the big rock on the left and three small stems of blyxa japonica to the right of the big rock going to let lilaeopsis roots settle back in then trim it back to substrate get rid of bba covered leaves and encourage spread
cheers for looking comments and criticisms all welcome

Hey tim,
Tank looks a lot better now in my opinion. The Cryptocoryne Balansae will look absolutely fantastic when it drapes right over the tall rock.

Height looks a lot better in this revamp too, that coupled with the positioning of the rocks, gives it a nice feel. Once the plants fill in between will look great.

Ps. Speak to Ady if you need any Balansae info or help, he is the Balansae KING.

mate how have you been heating your small tank? I have a nano tank 30cm squared and I cant figure out how to heat it? (without putting in an internal heater?)

jackrythm said:
mate how have you been heating your small tank? I have a nano tank 30cm squared and I cant figure out how to heat it? (without putting in an internal heater?)

External heater mate ;)

jackrythm said:
not heating it mate tanks been running 3yrs on and off temps never dropped below 20c even in winter which i believe is ok for cherries as nat said though hydor would do the job
ianho said:
looks loads better mate, well done!
thanks ian means a lot coming from the owner of such a stunning scape :thumbup:

Re: 12 liter shrimp nano acrylic spraybar

knocked up a quick spraybar today couple of bad pics
spraybar and L piece to connect to hose
7852268340_83e96d345b.jpg

7852274652_13c91bbdc8.jpg

crimped the end with pliers may be hard to keep clean
7852280806_e7b2a02c75.jpg

plumbers pipe cuter to cut the tube ive found gives a better cut than hacksaw though you do need to take a bit of time and tighten it after every few turns ive cracked a few pipes being over zealous :lol:
7852261240_6aaff07c9e.jpg

in tank shot
7852293562_5fdca98ca3.jpg

see how it goes flow wise may try a shrimp safe intake next get the black prefilter sponge out also hacked off bba covered lilaeopsis leaves today and added another pot in between the gaps dont think the foreground was planted heavily enough at the start
7852300370_d7b81dfcbf.jpg

hopefully getting to grips with the tank now cherries seem happy as ever too
thanks for looking :wave:

Nice DIY on those acrylic tubes. I wouldn't have guessed that shrimps and cat litter would be compatible.

flygja said:
Nice DIY on those acrylic tubes. I wouldn't have guessed that shrimps and cat litter would be compatible.
thanks mate cherry shrimp are quite hardy and dont mind higher tds certainly wouldnt use it again though think ive been lucky with them
Gill said:
Great job on the outlet, and the pipe cutters sure come in handy for jobs like these.
thanks gill find it makes a much cleaner cut than a hacksaw looking forward to some pics of your pipefish :thumbup:

Re: 12 liter shrimp nano 10 weeks in

nanos been running for 10 weeks now plants and shrimp are doing well lilaeopsis is painfully slow thickening up and to be honest think eleocharis parvula or mini wouldve been a better choice quite happy with the overall look at the moment though
7951369676_9fe3ebc8dc.jpg

7951382366_2174da841c.jpg

blyxa and crypt balansae growing nicely boyu filter has been behaving and spraybar seems to have sorted flow distribution issues i was having no return of bba YET :lol:
7951391800_29f7186d39.jpg

cherries still fighting over food and breeding noticed a couple smaller than the others today
7951386686_cb3e8d238c.jpg

not a great pic but my cameras rubbish put a dslr on my xmas wish list me thinks :thumbup:
had a bigger tank made for these little guys through my lfs optiwhite 50ltr but the dimensions were wrong instead of a tall rectangle i ended up with a 40x40 x30cm shallow square 10 cm extra depth has thrown my plans for it out a bit so these guys will be staying put for another couple of months still got the tank for £20 in the end
cheers for looking :thumbup:

thats looking really crisp and clean Tim...really nice.

Re: 12 liter shrimp nano 12 weeks

small update tanks been running for 12 weeks made a couple more changes acrylic intake made black sponge gone :D
8036612088_4b31579087.jpg

just need some clear suction cups instead of the black ones :lol: also added more foreground plants to lillaeopsis which is a painfully slow plant takes about six weeks to bounce back from a trim in here so added eleocharis parvula to the right of the front stone and glosso to the left didnt remove lillaeopsis i'll let it fend for itself :lol:
8036613226_398b1271fb.jpg

saddled juvenile shrimp about 2 months old dont they grow up quick :lol:
also have use of my eldest's slr a nikon d60 basic but gotta be better than my old coolpix ;) so on that note finish with a fts
8036610924_45becf0dbb.jpg

cheers for looking

Back