• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

180L Juwel Vision - first journal, first scape!

AndrewH

Hi folks,

This is my first journal on here, and also my first high-tech CO2 planted tank setup. :nailbiting:
Id like to share it with you as just maybe it might be interesting/helpful to someone else out there, and also as a way of giving a tiny insignificant portion back to the huge amount of help and decency that Ive received on this forum in the short time Ive been a member.
Thanks everyone!

So…. the tank is a Juwel Vision 180, with internal filter removed. It’s now using a Eheim 2160 external (with built in heater).
The lights are brand new, but still just the standard Juwel unit.
i.e. T5 36W x 2 (and I have fitted Juwel reflectors on them too)

As a tiny bit of background to the tank – its been going now for about 3 years, and did once house quite a lot of plants, and I had a pretty elaborate DIY Yeast based CO2 system – but the plants started dying off, algae started to take hold and one by one it eventually became only a few crypts, some Anubias and lots of Java fern, so I pretty much let it do its thing and went back to just a completely standard tank.
In December, I took a dislike to my Java Fern which was nearly filling every corner of the tank, and ripped huge swathes of it out, plus a big bit of bogwood…
So, as of early January, here was my tank (and isn’t she a beaut….. ?!) :oops:
IMG_0844.JPG

Recently though, the more and more I saw fantastic planted masterpieces in the mags, and online, I knew I wanted to do it again – and this time go high-tech, and no cutting corners.
I love Iwagumi, and Nature style aquariums, but I guess the Dutch style has always appealed to me more. Therefore, what Im going to try to do is firstly, something that I like and appeals to me, but secondly to try borrowing some guidelines and techniques from the Dutch style (if I can!)
So over the last two months, I have been researching and reading everything I can about all the different facets of this fascinating hobby. (you may even have seen and contributed to one or two of my threads asking for guidance!) And once I arrived at a decision, I went and purchased that product, plant, hardscape, etc.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<FRIDAY 8TH FEBRUARY> - 8:00pm
Over the last week or two, lots of brown parcels, and interesting shaped packages have been arriving at my house (much to the amusement of my Postman and the Mrs!)
And on Friday night, this is how the tank looked with various bits of hardscape, plants from LFS and online stores, and other items all clawed together and dropped into the tank awaiting the big day…
IMG_0899.JPG

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<SATURDAY 9TH FEBRUARY> - 9:30am
So its here! "Tank Day"!!

And even before its started, just like the best laid plans of mice and men…. my 3 year old daughter comes down with a stomach bug! :banghead:
But my wife being entirely awesome and sacrificial, would not see me deterred and insists that I still go ahead with the rescape. What a gal! :shy:
So my wife and daughter are now a captive audience, watching from the sofa/sick bed (and Mr.Tumble blustering and chuckling on the telly) I turn to the tank and survey the battleground...:watching:

I knew the single biggest job is going to be replacing the old pea gravel with the new ADA Africana Soil, but before that could begin in earnest, I have to rehouse the fishy occupants.

I lift out all the plants and hardscape, fill the biggest bucket I can find (30L) with tank water, and then transfer the filter over to this for the rest of the day.
One by one, the fish are gently caught and I really try to minimise stress to all of them (no swooshing the net around madly) – although I had forgot how hard large Amano shrimp are to catch. These guys are years old and about 2” in length, so they can really jet around when they want, not to mention climbing up nets quite handily too!!
Anyways, within an hour or so, almost everyone is rehomed.
Just the loaches and danios to go – surely they'll be easy, right? :facepalm:
IMG_0900.JPG

<11:30am>
Using LondonDragon’s awesome water changer/hosepipe device :)clap: ), I put the pipe end onto the bottom of the tank, start the water flow, then leave it to empty.
I grab a water sprayer bottle, fill it with tank water, and start to prune and prepare all my plants for replanting. They were kept moist with the spray gun at regular periods throughout the day.
The rule was, if it had algae or leaf damage it went.
And if it didn’t fit with the tank layout or style – it went.
Here is the tub of prepared plants.
(the 3 mats of Riccia Fluitans you can see were ordered from eBay and literally just arrived as I was finishing the last plant trimming – what great timing!)
IMG_0901.JPG

<12:15pm>
The tank is now empty(ish) so using a shovel I begin to lift all of the top layers of pea gravel.
This is the stuff that had detritus in it, bits of algae on the stones, and old JBL fert balls that I had used in the previous planted setup (was really surprised at how intact these things still were – I mean, we are talking like 3 years here!!)
I keep some of the pea gravel to sculpt up the back left corner as I want it higher than normal, and also, I had read that keeping some of your existing substrate in helps to seed the new stuff quicker. Am dubious about that, but lets see…
I position my main piece of wood, and add a couple of little twigs to create this…
IMG_0902.JPG

<1:00pm>
The ADA African goes in (what a joy that stuff is to use and the colour is great)
Cant remember who it was, but someone on here recommended using a piece of plastic to refill the water onto. What an awesome idea! I use the ADA Soil bag, and it floats up as it fills, so in the end it isn’t even touching the substrate and as you can see the water stays incredibly clear!

Its at this stage that I add in enough “Tetra AquaSafe” for my 180 litres – to remove the chloramine in our water (and any copper from the hot water pipes).
So now the tank is filling, and, as if in answering echo to my own stomachs loud rumbles of emptiness, the good wife appears with lunch!

I’ll leave the tank to fill and go enjoy some sausage rolls and a western on 5 – isn’t that what Saturday afternoons are made for?! :hungry:

IMG_0903.JPG

<1:45pm>
Thankfully I remember in time that you aren’t supposed to fill the tank up before the plants go in (apparently they are easier to plant in just a bit of water?)
So the planting begins.
Taller at the back, working forwards.
As per the Dutch style, Im using 9 different types of plant (for my 90cm tank)
Large crypt sp. go in the left, hygrophilia rosanervig centre, and Mattogrossense (green) back right.

P.S. as a little aside here, I always thought those fancy “aquascaping” scissors and tweezers were just yet another way to squeeze money out of us. I mean, come on, its just a long pair of flipping scissors, just reach your damn arm down and do the same job surely, no?
Oh gosh, no! If anyone still has doubts about their usefulness please let me assure you they are very much worth the outlay. The tweezers especially made planting a doddle and I even think helped protect the plant too by allowing the roots to go into the substrate properly and not get all smashed up. A very worthwhile investment.

IMG_0906.JPG

<3:00pm>
OK, so things are going fairly well, the fish seem happy enough in their bucket (I gave them some bits of bogwood, java fern and some floating riccia to give them some hiding places. Also, the entire bucket is well wrapped and covered so its blacked out. The temperature is absolutely spot on thanks to the Eheim)

I added more mid and foreground plants, but not all of them at this stage.
Wanted to see how it was looking first.
IMG_0907.JPG

<4:30pm>
Not sure why, but the fish started jumping in the bucket. Temperature is still fine, filter is still running, but I guess they have had enough.
And as I really don’t want to endanger the health of my fish, I decide to stop with the planting and scaping, and just get them back in.

The filter is reconnected to the main tank, and one by one, the fish and shrimp are all introduced to their new home. The 30L of old tank water in the bucket is also poured back in.
IMG_0908.JPG

<5:00pm>
I tie up my very first mesh/mat of riccia with fishing line – and realise very quickly that this is an art in itself, is massively frustrating and curse people with dextrous small digits that can do this.
After what seems like an age (and some chuckling from the wife!) I manage to get enough Riccia to stay on the mesh that it looks ok. As you can see from the pic, the 3 other metal riccia mesh pads actually have a very fine green net over the top. Im not sure why this is, and hope that they grow through it (perhaps Im supposed to take this net off after delivery?). I also bought my metal mesh from the same eBayer who sold me the Riccia and he sent me this green net for mine too. But I opt to go without it, as I much prefer the look. Hopefully this doesn’t come back to bite me!
The tank is totally refilled with water, plants moved around and the rest of the foreground plants put in.

This includes Alternanthera reineckii ‘Mini’ which Im hoping the Riccia will grow right up to and the Altern. provide a really vibrant red to contrast against the Riccia infront, and the lime green Mattogrossense behind.
Rotala rotundiflora is positioned at the mid right just behind a big swathe of anubias.
Small Cryptocoryne Parva positions just behind the Riccia from mid through to the left of the tank, with some bits positioned in between (Im hoping the Riccia grows all round these, and they are left poking through for contrasting textures)
My “wildcard” is Cryptocoryne Costata which is planted midground right. To be honest, I don’t know what this is going to be/look like. Ive seen pictures online, but even they seem to disagree about how red/brown/green it is and leaf shape. I’ll wait and see. Im hoping for a reddish brown.
There are LOADS of tiny bubbles in the tank and the Riccia meshes seem intent on lifting and floating out of position. I turn the filter down a bit to prevent this.
A small powerhead (450l/h) is positioned on the left and blowing LEFT (against the glass)
The idea being that the CO2 diffuser will be under this on the left, and the output from that will be blown to the right by the powerhead. Then it will arrive at the flow of the spraybar, where it will be pushed down and around over the Riccia and eventually to the back right of the tank and into the filter….. that’s the theory.
Here’s what it looks like:
IMG_0909.JPG

<SUNDAY 10TH FEBRUARY> - 3:00pm
So today here is how its looking.
All the bubbles have gone away and the Riccia is now staying put. Quite a number of plants had been uprooted (fish or flow Im not sure) but easy enough to replant.
Only thing changed today was to shorten the filter inlet pipe to raise the “cage” off the substrate by about 2 inches; and I raised the spray bar so its only about 1” under the water surface.
IMG_0910.JPG

<8:30pm>
Logged into the wonderful UKAPS.ORG to start this journal!

I had hoped to get the FE CO2 system hooked up today, but just didn’t have the time, and didn’t want to rush it and make mistakes. Maybe tomorrow night for that?

Here’s the final plant list:
Microsorum pteropus
Anubias sp.
Riccia fluitans
Rotala rotundiflora
Myriophyllum mattogrossense (green)
Hygrophilia polysperma ‘rosanervig’
Alternanthera reineckii ‘Mini’
Cryptocoryne Costata
Cryptocoryne Parva
Cryptocoryne (unknown – from my old tank)

(Yes, I know that’s 10 plants and I wanted to use 9, but the Parva was a last minute idea to break up the carpet of Riccia! :p )
Im going to start the CO2 at 2 bubbles per second, and I will be dosing Ei as per standard micro/macro dosing 6 days per week.

What Im hoping to achieve:
Im really hoping the back is a thick growth of greens and textures, and the front has a semi-circle carpet of pearling Riccia (interspersed with the delicate, small Crypt. Parva leaves). The bright red Alternanthera will border the Riccia on the right and over hang it slightly, with the Cry.Costata continuing this strong focal point to the delicate, lime green Mattogrossense at the back.

I already don’t like some parts (like the left hand side) but not sure what to do or maybe when to do it?

All advice, criticism, tuition and opinion greatly appreciated and accepted. :thumbup:
Feel free to say anything to me, even if its negative! I want to learn and to get it right this time so here we go.
Will keep you posted periodically if anyone is interested :bored:
Thanks guys.

Looks great Andrew, when it fills in there will be a definite fore, mid and background scheme which will work well in and around your very nice piece of wood.
Id make sure you carry out every day minimum 50% water changes for the first week, dropping to every second day in the 2nd week, 3rd day in the 3rd week then down to 1 x 50% per week normal routine as of the fourth week. this will help reduce organic waste as the plants adjust and start growth....plus im sure even the ada africana leaches some ammonia and wouldnt want to see any harm come to the fish and shrimp youve had for so many years :)
As for dragon stone, i think it would work really well with your exisiting wood and blend nicely with the colour of your substrate, i find it a really natural looking stone in the aquarium as its different brown tones blend with the greens of the plants.
The left side (that you say you dont like) will change massively in the next few weeks as the ferns settle and straighten so maybe wait a while for things to adjust, settle and begin growth before being too critical or swappiing things around :thumbup:
Oh, and get your c02 set up asap, your plants are hungry and need it immediately ;), unless youre leaving the lights off.....which you wont be as its too tempting to look at your nice new planted tank!
Keep us posted.
Cheerio,
Ady.

Cheers Ady, that sounds like awesome advice all round. I'll do the water changes and keep my eye out for Ammonia/Nitrite problems.
Thanks again for flagging these up to me as Id be gutted if any fish suffered, or especially if I lost my big shrimp.

I'll also take your advice and just let things settle before deciding the next course.
To keep my busy in the meantime, I can always get the CO2 going and then go look for the perfect stone to fit the layout. :thumbup:

Enjoyed reading that, has provided me with some encouragement to do mine. I'm just in the middle of a 4 day blackout of my Rio 180 and was thinking about replacing the substrate once the new equipment turns up. Will keep watching

Hi Henry, thanks for the kind words - glad it maybe helped you out.
I ended up using only about 14L of substrate (i.e. a bag and a half of 9L bags)
So unfortunately, I now have about 4 or 5 litres of expensive substrate that Im likely not going to use. Oops. :confused:

Should just add, that the reason I used so little is because of the pea gravel I kept in.
I should have taken more out.
I reckon that for your 180L Rio, you would need 18L of substrate.

I think that sounds about right, I think it calculates to about 20 litres if I use an average of 5cm. Keep the updates coming, I didn't think I would like the colour of the Africana but it really does look good. Would be keen to know if you have any issues with ammonia spikes, but with the water changing regime mentioned above, it shouldn't be an issue.

Andrew,firstly well written journal,lots of really good photo's.tanks looking really good and time will make it look a lot better,its surprising how much it changes in a few months.As Ady said get the CO2 sorted out asap because the plants really need it
Keep up the good work and keep the journal going:)

Cheers
Martin

Well update as of tonight (Monday) is that Ive just broke my diffuser!!
Bugger. It was totally my fault - I was rushing to get the CO2 hooked up and pushed the delicate glass onto the suckers and it cracked in two.
What a stupid move!
I now have no diffuser - a brand new one all the way from Hong Kong broken. Pointless.
Going to go online tomorrow and try to rush one to me - going for the Fluval one as it was so highly recommended by folks on here.
Argh, So annoyed with myself. :(

Been there done that;). Fluval one is better anyway, much smaller bubbles, better absorbtion. Got one in my tank after others recommended it,wouldn't go back now:thumbup:

Cheers
Martin

Quick update.
Last night the replacement Fluval diffuser arrived (from one of the sites sponsors, with super quick delivery. Thanks!) and I finally got the CO2 FE system up and running.
IMG_0913.JPG

Its permanent home is behind the tank but just wanted to take a photo for the journal. ITs using the CO2 Supermarket regulator, and was very easy to set up and attach everything.
Ive left enough CO2 tubing on so that I can lift the FE out to the front for easy adjustment/cyclinder replacement, but hopefully not so long as to foul up the bubble count (as Ive read from some other people)
A simple glass check valve coming from the diffuser, then a nice EasyAqua bubble counter is attached to the outside of the tank on the side you cant see.
Its all working.

But one question - in all the tutorials about setting up high-tech tanks that ive read, the CO2 part is usually just "hook it all together" and "aim for 1 to 2 bubbles per second to start.
However, last night, the bubble count was impossible to get regular. It would do one or two a second, then about 6, then back to maybe one, and continued like this for an hour until I turned it all off for the night.

Is this because:
a - Im a klutz!
b - the regulator/solenoid is dodgy
c - the diffuser was only put into the tank at the same time, and had been dry up till that point (Ive heard they need to soak?)
d - all of the above :arghh:

As an aside, I also took delivery of the Hydor Koralia Nano 900 pump last night too.
(see pic above)

I have to say Im dissappointed in the flow. It really is piddly.
This pump replaced my "450l/h" cheap one from Hong Kong that I had used up till this point. BUt that 450 one blows very hard indeed with loads of flow.
The 900l/h Hydor, kind of just blows it in multiple directions - Im guessing because of the open design of the fan so it has nothing to direct the flow.

Had I known this, I think the Koralia 1600 would have been a better fit for me, as I was wanting to blow all the CO2 mist from the diffuser into the spray bar flow for good distribution, but Im not sure the little Hydor 900 is up to that. :(

The co2 can sometimes take a while to settle down to a steady beat , I know mine did

Really good change. I like it lots. :cigar: As for the netting on those discs. They are supposed to hold the moss/riccia to the disc and the plant should grow through it. It's not 100% necessary but it helps keep the plant steady until it fastens to the discs. I have found that tying moss to a object will let it fasten in some places only as the string touches the plant and presses it to the object you tie it to. With the net a bigger surface of the moss gets pressed for it to fasten. But you shouldn't have problems with it. ;)

Really good change. I like it lots. :cigar: As for the netting on those discs. They are supposed to hold the moss/riccia to the disc and the plant should grow through it. It's not 100% necessary but it helps keep the plant steady until it fastens to the discs. I have found that tying moss to a object will let it fasten in some places only as the string touches the plant and presses it to the object you tie it to. With the net a bigger surface of the moss gets pressed for it to fasten. But you shouldn't have problems with it. ;)

Ahh ok, thanks Bazil.
Really surprised at the plant growth in just 4 days!
The Ricca is now poking through the netting (just like you said) and looking much better.
But the real star is the Alternanthera - each little clump has nearly doubled in size and looks much healthier.
All that without CO2 and ferts... its just shows you that those Tropica 1-2-Grow things are really good.

As an aside, I also took delivery of the Hydor Koralia Nano 900 pump last night too.
(see pic above)

I have to say Im dissappointed in the flow. It really is piddly.
This pump replaced my "450l/h" cheap one from Hong Kong that I had used up till this point. BUt that 450 one blows very hard indeed with loads of flow.
The 900l/h Hydor, kind of just blows it in multiple directions - Im guessing because of the open design of the fan so it has nothing to direct the flow.

Had I known this, I think the Koralia 1600 would have been a better fit for me, as I was wanting to blow all the CO2 mist from the diffuser into the spray bar flow for good distribution, but Im not sure the little Hydor 900 is up to that. :(
yeah the koralias are circulation pumps which move a lot of water without directly jetting flow, so ideal to move water over plants in a planted tank. They work well working with a flow pattern, but not so well at trying to work against one.
Trying to push a jet of bubbles into your existing spraybar flow may not be the best idea, as you will get conflicting flow patterns which will reduce the efficiency of your spraybar at distributing evenly to all your plants. Have you considered placing your c02 diffuser below the filter inlet pipe? The co2 is drawn through your filter and out via the spraybar. This way you get the best from your spraybar distribution, and have the added benefit of your filter acting a bit like a reactor.
If your filter 'burps' a lot, and gets gas build up then you may not like this idea, but alternatively you could place the koralia rear centre (below your spraybar) facing forward (to the front glass), with the diffuser directly below it. This way you will be working with the existing flow pattern from your spraybar, and the microbubbles will be distributed well as they hit the front glass and move downwards and sidewards.
Cheerio,
Ady.

Back