• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

360l first planted tank - how does my plan look?

Vyncenze

Hello!

Brand new member here, having found my way here from PFK. I am in the process of planning my first "planted" tank, and I'm just looking for some advice/reassurance about my choices so far. I've kept fish for a long time and my current setup has low light plants and is very low-tech (no injected CO2, a bit of easycarbo, T8s). They are growing fairly well but I fancy a new challenge.

First of all, this is an upgrade from my current 180l tank, and the livestock will be moving over to it. The stock level isn't massive, but probably on the higher side for a planted tank. I'm not sure what difference that makes, if any, to my equipment and fert choices?

I am looking at one of the 5ft tanks from MA - with the oak stands. The size is 150 x 40 x 60 (height). A slightly odd shape but it fits in the room nicely. Total volume around about 360l.

I did want to light with GroBeams but reluctantly I think they're a bit out of my price range. I'd want to keep the lighting "in-hood" anyway, and it looks like ideally the tiles should be mounted higher for maximum efficiency and effect. Following advice on the other forum, I plan to get these http://www.charterhouse-aquatics.co.uk/ ... -1635.html and suplement with AquaFX LEDs for the sunrise/sunset and moonlight effects (not the purple feature!) That doesn't give me huge light levels, but I'm assured it will be enough for steady growth?

For substrate I'm probably going to go for Tropica underneath simple sand (I like the look and the cost, and its cory-friendly).

For filtration/flow 2 of the APS filters here: http://www.allpondsolutions.co.uk/aquar ... 9w-uv.html

I will have pressurised CO2 using the FE method on this forum (my first go at this),

The thing I'm not too sure about right now is ferts. I've been looking at EI and it all looks very complicated, but the price encourages me! Is there a good dry pre-mix you would recommend? I live in a hard water area, and I'm told that means I may not need to dose some of the elements, is that right?

Any advice on the above would be very much appreciated. Any obvious problems with what I'm planning? I haven't chosen plants yet, but will my setup be capable of supporting a carpetting plant and a few red-leaved plants - both of which I know are a bit more demanding?

Thank you!!

Joe

Re: New setup - 360l first planted tank - help!

2 x full tank length T5s is standard fitment for a planted tank.
Your tank however, might be better sized with slightly less depth & a bit more width?
Pre mix ferts here (2000ml is an economical size) http://www.aquariumplantfood.co.uk/25-a ... -nutrition

Re: New setup - 360l first planted tank - help!

Thank you for that. Changing the tank size is not really an option - I agree swapping the depth and width would be great but the oak cabinets and tanks MA do come in limited sizes and I have to fit the tank in a fairly thin alcove in any event.

Thanks for the link - is that mix effectively EI for dummies? That would be ideal :)

Yes I moved over from full EI to using the premix daily routine as I linked.
You can see the results here.. http://ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=13682
I would not say using the pre mix is any better than using the more normal & economical EI method but it obversely works!

Oh, I agree, obviously works :) and the hardscaping of the tank is great. It must be satisfying to incoprorate that level of DIY element into your tank with success

Love your tank foxfish. Can I ask why you decided to try the pre-mix - just less hassle?

Any other comments from anyone on my planned setup? Do they look like reasonable choices for a first go at planted?

Vyncenze said:
Love your tank foxfish. Can I ask why you decided to try the pre-mix - just less hassle?
Yes - just that simple, I bought a dosing bottle that I just refill from the two litre mix that lives in a cupboard.
It also means my misses can dose the tank if I am not home.

Back