• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

45cm Nature Style - Update 5 'Let there be Light'

DRillo

Hi everyone and welcome to my journal.

Currently I am in the buying stage but have recently started doing a little hands on work.
Those easily offended by poor photography should probably look away, I am limited to my phone.

Update 1 - 'DIY Cabinet'
So the tank I am using (45x27x30cm) needed somewhere to live and I came across a shoe storage cupboard in Ikea which was the perfect size and a bargain price of £20, being a cheapskate I couldn't resist.

So I have converted the lower drawer to be more of a cupboard with some hinges to house the filter and co2 and attached some sockets round the back. I have left the top 'shoe storage' as it should be perfect for tools and fert bottles etc.

I am far from a skilled carpenter but am pretty chuffed.

20150629_200105.jpg

20150629_200116.jpg

20150629_200157.jpg

I have also attached my heater to a little bracket to keep it out of the way and vertical (i read this is important with these heaters)

20150629_200255.jpg

So thats where I am for the moment, more to follow . . . . . . .

Thanks for reading :)

Thanks, came out better than I expected :thumbup:

There may well be a good reason for that, we will see when its in use ;)

i cant see much that could cock up. good idea :)

Is the unit strong enough for 40Kg odd of tank, water and substrate ?

Might also want to varnish (multiple coats) all exposed chipboard surfaces in case one day you have a "water incident", to stop the chipboard acting as a sponge, turning to porridge and unexpectedly lowering your tank to the floor..:eek:

Is the unit strong enough for 40Kg odd of tank, water and substrate ?
Thats a good point and one that had me worried at first, however I have sat on top of it for a good hour watching TV and it was fine (I am a tad more than 40-50kgs ;))

Hadn't thought of the chipboard sponge though, will get that sorted - thanks

Update 2 - 'Plumbing'

So today I did a leak test on the tank which was all good.
Then connected my filter to the heater and ran a loop into the sink, everything worked as it should and with no leaks.

The filter and heater are now in place so I just need to buy and inlet and outlet.
I am thinking of getting a normal glass inlet and a glass spray bar, probably 20cm running along the width of the tank spraying along. I will have a triangular shaped scape so in theory the bar will be spraying over all of the plants.
Alternative is a 30cm one across the back?

Anyway, quick pic of the filter in place and some 'luck' more than design in the close fit of the plugs/timers.

20150702_212138.jpg

Update 3 - 'The Scape'

Since getting the cabinet sorted I have been working on the scape.
I hadn't really been happy with it until today, just a shame about the terrible picture, doesn't do it justice.
Nothing compared to most of the wonderful work on here but I am very happy with it.

ADA Power Sand
ADA Amazonia Power Soil
Manzanita Wood
Seiryu Stone

Planting wise I am looking to carpet with dwarf hairgrass or similar and have mainly ferns around he wood, not sure about moss yet.
Then some stems at the back and some smaller slower growing plants at the front.

Realistically I am a month away from planting as I want to build a light hanger and have co2 to sort out - so plenty of time to choose the perfect plants.
I will be covering the tank with cling film until then, substrate should be ok right??

Anyway thanks for reading . . .

20150703_225029.jpg

substrate will be fine but you may want to soak wood or ensue that it won't float when tank is filled :banghead:

Scape looks great, I have to echo Alto's comments ref the wood floating, it's worth securing it all together with cable ties or bonsai wire and attaching it to a rock/slate, this will stop it floating and will also help stop it moving whilst maintaing the tank, nothing worse than cleaning the glass or trimming plants and watching your nicely arranged wood collapse and move when you catch it with your arm, looking forward to flowing your progress.

Loving this journal. I have a 45p sitting waiting for me to do something with. Love the hardscape, will be watching this closely.

Dan

Scape looks great
Loving this journal
Thanks, hoping to keep the updates coming over the next few weeks (loads of stuff being delivered :D)

Here are a couple of better pictures of the scape.
The wood is in 2 separate pieces and has been tied, each piece also has a large rock attached to it (you just cant see it as it - both pieces go to the bottom of the tank.
I think when i fill the tank I will add a little more weight just in case :thumbup:

20150704_155135.jpg

Planting space
20150704_155145.jpg

Update 4 - 'Spray Bar'

So my spray bar arrived, very happy with it. The holes are tiny though, no more than 1mm.
Hopefully that will translate to good flow rather than a huge restiction - might have to give it a test out of the tank.

20150707_193301.jpg

Have also been doing some work on the cabinet, just tidying up the cables and adding some strength after I noticed sideways force caused it to 'wobble', pretty solid now.
Just need to get some varnish on and it wont be far off completed.

20150707_193537.jpg

I have loads of stuff being delivered this week so should have another update soon.
Next up is a hanger for the light I am looking to build myself, along the lines of the ADA chrome ones with height adjustable lamp hangers - we shall see!!

Thanks for reading.

Update 5 - 'More DIY'

So first up I put a magnetic catch on the cupboard door, not very exciting but nice and functional.

20150710_154507.jpg

Had a 'genius' idea to use the spares to hold my tools inside the top drawer type thing - very happy with the results

20150711_181034.jpg

Next up got my inline diffuser in place with a 3way valve.
Idea being that come water change time I can just attach tube to the bottom and use the filter to pump the water out through the inlet.
Might try something similar on the intake to fill the tank but can see all sorts of issues with that .... so may not.

20150711_181014.jpg

Finally I started working on my light hanger, very happy so far, its just a shower curtain rail (20mm)
I have capped the end with a chrome plug and attached with 20mm pipe fittings.

Hangers are to go on next, steel wire, then I can attach the light and run the wire out of the way through the tube into the cabinet.
Not ADA quality workmanship but also only cost about £20 and in my opinion looks quite good

20150711_181126.jpg

20150711_181142.jpg

20150711_181229.jpg

Anyway thanks for reading and fingers crossed there will be water in the tank before update 50 ;)

Update 5 - 'Let there be Light'

One thing I did not account for was the weight of the light itself!
Annoyingly the hanger bends quite a bit with the lamp hung so I have a far simpler solution which will do until I can find a strong 90' bend or someone with a pipe bender.

The light itself is a Aquatlantis - http://www.allpondsolutions.co.uk/a...antis-easy-led-universal-lighting-freshwater/
Great service from Allpondsolutions :thumbup:

20150722_103748.jpg

Here is a 'better' picture of the scape

20150722_104004.jpg

I have also varnished the cabinet to cover all of the exposed chipboard and mdf
Waiting for a few more deliveries and then I can get started on planting!!

Thanks for reading

Back