• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

60"x18"x30" Lighting problem.

ChrisH

Seedling
I had decided to run 4x54w T5's on this tank, but there is a bracing bar on the hood (which runs back to front) which means the only way I could have the tubes is either in a unit or laid directly on the glass bracing strips. Am I correct in thinking if the bulbs are in a unit there will be a heat issue? I should mention that I have a piece of wood that will take up nearly 2/3's of the tank which will be planted up with anubias and the open area will have giant vallis and amazon swords. Ant advice would be greatly appreciated.
ATB
Chris

Hi chris, you shouldnt have much of a heat issue from a luminaire which is your best bet as laying lights on the brace bars sounds dodgy at best. While you havent said if you are using co2, if you want to use 4 tubes you will have too and even then i will be pretty high light. As your plants are all perfectly happy in low light id suggest going with 2 tubes for around 5-6 hours to start off. Anubias are very prone to BBA and GDA unless they are shaded so make your life as easy as possible and keep light low.:thumbup:

The last time i kept a planted tank co2 was only jusy coming to the fore. I was going for 4 tubes purely due to the depth of the tank but having trawled through most of the lighting forum last night had realised that 2 would probably suffice. The new razor lights from a well known supplier states you could lay them on the glass, hence my question. Would have loved an open top tank but have a large inquisitive cat who I think would use the tank for a dip. Thanks for the reply, think I now know what route to take.
ATB
Chris

The tank has a hood (it was a birthday present) but because of the brace bar in the hood it only allows 2.5" between it and the cover plates. The other option I now have is to put 4 smaller bulbs in i.e 4 x 2' whch i could fit into the hood. My other 4 cats never bothered with my marine tank but this cat will, he already jumps from the floor onto the top of it and it's 5' tall!
ATB
Chris

ok posting an image not as easy as I first thought! If i went the 4 bulb route I could only fit 22"/24w bulbs as the distance between the end of the hood and the brace bar is just under 29", but would that give me enough light?

Yes, well probably! C02 grows the plants first & foremost in outr tank environments, many of the top tank displays you will see have mastered low light high C02 to get incredible results.
However considering the depth of your tank, I would think you really will have your job cut out!
Getting the gas to reach the bottom will be a big challenge!!!!

Back