• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

90 cm fresh start. Thread finished.

looking good tim, timers are a pain...you never know when one might fail. Could be worse, you could have a £200 led timer that cant count to 24 hrs!
Plants are looking nice and healthy, can see this being great in a few months. Vertical growth on glosso is often caused by low co2 at substrate level so worth baring in mind. Barb island was originally glosso but i couldnt get it to stay horizontal, often its worth injecting higher levels but with more surface movement so it doesnt build up to high yet gets good levels down the bottom.
Cherry barbs will be lovely when they colour up and start sparring, still one of my favourate barbs, was sad to give mine back to MA, then felt better as they put them in a display tank rather than selling on again.
Nice work.

Reactions: tim
Bad luck Tim.
Funny how different fauna have different tolerances to c02. Seems you caught it just in time though so small consolation.

see if helps with the glosso, maybe replace it with tennelus if not.
or marsilea hirsuta....looks a bit like glosso but easier ;)
I reckon you can grow the glosso though, keep tweaking till you succeed :thumbup:Cheerio,
Ady.

Thanks for the vote of confidence ady :)
Upgraded the filter to cristal profi 1500 and must've been good this year wife bought these for my birthday
8824380194_e084d96a32.jpg

Big trim session planned for later try n get some pics up.

Hi Tim,
Well done Mrs. Tim, lovely looking Lily's, i have the gpipe but quite fancy the opipe too. could you do me a favour and measure the distance between the very top of the glass lily to the bottom of the u bend please (on the horizontal if you know what I mean)
I did a big trim the other night too....must be the week for them!
Cheerio,
Ady.

3 weeks and just starting to see some horizontal growth from the glosso
8845976036_9a5937b461.jpg

Seeing some diatoms so will continue daily water changes for another week or two also some gsa so little more phosphate added after each water change. Still tweaking co2, flow seems improved with just the one larger filter but I will add another filter or a powerHead back in if needed.
8845362831_b8852b0057.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Another week in plant growth has been good, couple of days away from the tank due to work and algae growth has been good too mainly diatoms on lower plant leaves glass and hard scape.
8915892053_7714001a16.jpg

GSA seems to be receding so will continue to add a little extra po4.
Large water change (and a good scrub) this evening another planned for the morning looking better already.
8917641356_68e27686ed.jpg

Hoping to have quite a few cherry shrimp on the way in a week or two, 3 of my 10 amanos have walked out of the tank so far :(

Daily water changes slowly keeping on top of the diatoms, co2 now being run inline with a boyu diffuser on an empty crystal profi 900, noticed after a day dc's colour was darker green confirming my thoughts and the glosso's :lol: that co2 was not optimum will tweak the injection rate slowly over the week due to work then over weekend off will try to get it bang on without stressing livestock.

Sorry to hear about the amanos going for walks mate. I had that when my water was too close to the rim.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2
It's frustrating mate I keep the water about an inch from the top, still I had a couple walk out of my 60cm which had a hood on it, maybe they just don't like my scapes.

It's frustrating mate I keep the water about an inch from the top, still I had a couple walk out of my 60cm which had a hood on it, maybe they just don't like my scapes.

Could be water related too mate??

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

I thought that too al, had my water tested at lfs to be on the safe side no ammonia or nitrite visible nitrate around 40 ppm ph 7, tds after water change is around 300 not bad for London tap rises by about 50 ppm if I miss a few days water changes, got a couple of white pearls in the tank which hid away in my fluval edge which seem happy too, baffling really thought amanos were fairly hardy.

What a cracking scape. Reminds me of my first true CO2 injected high tech tank. It will be fantastic once grown in

Tim i remember once Clive advised someone to position their 2 lily pipe outlets at equidistant from each other at the rear wall of the tank. What Clive says is that the water the comes out from the lily pipe is like a funnel shaped stream. So when they are placed at equidistant from each other the effect of the funnel is amplified ( i think) so the stream do not negate each other. They should hit the front glass & re divert back along the substrate ,...bringing in more co2 to the area. Just saying,...in case if you haven't come across that thread.

What a cracking scape. Reminds me of my first true CO2 injected high tech tank. It will be fantastic once grown in
Thanks flygja :)

Tim i remember once Clive advised someone to position their 2 lily pipe outlets at equidistant from each other at the rear wall of the tank. What Clive says is that the water the comes out from the lily pipe is like a funnel shaped stream. So when they are placed at equidistant from each other the effect of the funnel is amplified ( i think) so the stream do not negate each other. They should hit the front glass & re divert back along the substrate ,...bringing in more co2 to the area. Just saying,...in case if you haven't come across that thread.
Hi Faizal, yeah I read that thread think I've read a lot of Clive's posts (hurts my brain :lol:) but his info has helped me with the hobby a lot, I tried spray bars pointing forward and everything at the back melted the co2 was hitting the hard scape and disappearing up out of the tank, I read a post by George farmer about island scapes and the ring way/race way?? Method of flow suiting island scapes, even though this is not an island so far this Lilly positioning has given me better results so ill bear with it for a while and work on injection rate.

I tried spray bars pointing forward and everything at the back melted the co2 was hitting the hard scape and disappearing up out of the tank.................... even though this is not an island so far this Lilly positioning has given me better results so ill bear with it for a while and work on injection rate.

Great Tim.:) Looking forward to seeing this progess nicely. Just a matter of time, that's all.

..... cherry barbs soon spotted them when added to the tank and ate them :( hopefully the other shrimplets will have an easier start in life.

Oh man,...i am so sorry mate. But for what it's worth,....you have provided them with plenty of rocks & stems there. Hope they find nice ,cosy & safe spots till they get bigger.

Back