• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

A Tribute to the Plants I’ve Killed

Pogostemon Helferi. I am sorry, I had no idea my shrimps would eat you. Most expensive meal they have ever enjoyed.

Pogostemon Erectus. I only bought you because I had a childish chuckle at your name. I planted you in too much flow and you were in pieces by the end of the week.

Hygrophila corymbosa 'Variegatus'. I’m a sucker for variegation. I jumped on that trend like a fly jumps on dung. But you were sickly from day one and it didn’t help that I stuck you at the back and forgot about you. I tried to rescue you but it was too late.

Hygrophila Pinnatifida. Why were you such a magnet for algae? Why were all those posts online about hydrogen peroxide so convincing? You melted so quickly.

Bolbitis heudelotii. You were already shocked by the cold weather in transit and the box leaking didn’t help. I managed to rescue a tiny piece of you and you were showing signs of growth but then I accidentally pulled you out when culling some floaters and the dog ate you.

Sleep well.

A special mention to all those cute looking snails my wife keeps choosing that seem to just die within days in my aquarium. I don’t know why I keep buying them for her.

Last edited:
I genuinely laughed out loud, thanks. Interesting observation about pogostemen erectus, I've not had that problem with it in flow, though it does grow surprisingly slowly
In the dog’s defense, the manual says “if it falls on the floor, it is dog’s responsibility to clear it up.” She was only following protocol.

As for flow, it was at a time I was experimenting with circulation around the tank using a propellor pump. It didn’t really work out so it’s another thing in a box under the stairs.

This is hilarious, especially the explanations as to what caused the plants' demise!
Mind you, I'd probably be on page twenty if I listed everything I'd annihilated trying to grow unsuitable plants low tech! 😂
Try pogostemon stellatus (octopus) it seems pretty resilient!

Indeed, I've inflicted death on various plants especially Invitro.:inpain:
I tend to stay away from them as much as I can....:rolleyes:

This is hilarious, especially the explanations as to what caused the plants' demise!
Mind you, I'd probably be on page twenty if I listed everything I'd annihilated trying to grow unsuitable plants low tech! 😂
Try pogostemon stellatus (octopus) it seems pretty resilient!
Very familiar to me...

Back