• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

ADA 60P First planted tank

j4the96

Seedling
Hi All

Been thinking about doing this for a while and eventually took the plunge this week after a visit to TGM

I thought if I am going to do this I will not fart about trying to do it on the cheap and ultimately fail. So after pursuading her in doors to let me try it, here is what i've bought so far and what I still need to get. Also I have researched and researched but still feel pretty clueless about it all.

ADA Doaqua Cabinet
ADA P60 Cube Garden
ADA Solar 1 150W
ADA Solar 1 arm
ADA Power Sand
ADA Amazonia Grauales
ADA Amazonia Powder
Seiryu Stone

still to get;

Thermofilter
CO2 Kit - TGM

I have attempted a sort of scape (with help from TGM) and have an idea in my head. Just hope I can get from my head into the tank :D

Here are some pictures I have taken - excuse the poor quality, taken with an iphone. Feedback and advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

img1269nk.jpg

img1270t.jpg

If it doesn't go tits up, i will update any progress :D

the quality of kit will not determine success . nice start though...

Yeah i agree, loving the big rock, any idea what type of layout your going to go for, as well as plants?

I know what you mean about buying the "best" (no doubt people will dispute). I started in this hobby with cheap ugly equipment and only ended up upgrading it all and costing more :D

Really looking forward to seeing how this one develops.

I wouldn't be able to afford that kit even if I did decide to do it like that! lol but I must say I have 4 planted tanks and they are all using different methods of technique.. some costing more than others but they all have the same output because I give them the same amount of attention. on the other hand if I had the spare cash I would jump at the chance to own everything ADA...

As for your tank.. its looking epic mate looking forward to following this one :)

Hi all - thanks for the replies.

Still waiting for it to cycle - pain in the a**e. Not seen a single nitrite yet and ammonia has been through the roof.

I've been doing daily water changes to bring the ammonia down to 5ppm as I read that too much ammonia can actually stall the cycle. I squeezed a filter sponge from an established tank into the filter of this one but still nothing.

i've been out and bought some safe start today to try and hurry things along.

Must I wait before I add any plants?

I was told the high ammonia leaching from the amazonnia will melt the plants

cheers

Ian

Personally I would say hold off on the safe start and just wait out the cycle period, it will be better in the end. You're nearly there anyway.

I did the same as you, the Nitrates started to appear around 21 to 25 days, and then cycle finished fairly quickly after that.

Perhaps reduce the ammonia to 2 ppm during your water changes. My tank is 450 litres and I was advised to keep around 3ppm. 5ppm is still very high and could be delaying / stalling your cycle.

Regarding the plants, if I could do it again then I would wait until the cycle is finished, drain all of the water until it's a few cm above the substrate and then planting would be so much easier. Up to you though.

It's been 3 weeks now since i started the cycling process. Ammonia had all but disappeared on Saturday but still nitrites so after an expensive trip to TGM :wideyed: i decided to plant.

Please excuse the bad pictures - taken from an iphone. I must invest in a half decent camera, if i've any money left after buying all this lot :crazy:

Plant list

Hemianthus Callitrichoides
Elocharis Parvula
Staurogyne Repens
Alternanthera Reineckii pnik
Pogostemon Erectus
Rotala Rotundifolia
Rotala sp Green
Cyperus Helferi

tankfs2planted.jpg

halftank2.jpg

halftank.jpg

a couple of above views ;

abovetank2.jpg

abovetank.jpg

I'm having a bit of a problem with the Cyperus Helferi - it's starting to turn brown

helefribrown.jpg

Also my drop checker doesn't change colour - i've put the 4KH solution in and the brommo blue but no colour changes at all. C02 injected through a diffuser at about 1.5 bubbles per second

dropcheckerclearbrownhe.jpg

Feedback please guys/gals - this is all new to me and proving far more expensive than i originally thought

Cheers

Ian

Back