• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Adding a T5 tube to a T8 Rio 180.

Jporter

Seedling
Hey everyone!

Ok, basically I've got a Rio 180 tank, with the standard hood containing 2 x T8's (30W's) I want to increase my light output to grow some of the more demanding plant species.

I can't exactly or justify a spanking new T5 setup so was wondering if there was any way to add another single T5 bulb to it via something like this: [urlhttp://www.123aquatics.co.uk/products/aquarium/starter-units/hagen-glo-t5-twin-starter-unit-1568.aspx][/url]

Is this a viable idea?

Thanks1

Hi,
There is something you should know: The more demanding plant species are considered more demanding because they demand more CO2 and more attention paid to nutrition, NOT because they demand more light. In fact, if you add more light to demanding plants...they become more demanding...which is a vicious and merciless cycle.

If I were you I would focus more on CO2/flow rates and distribution techniques and resist the temptation to add more light until you learn how to satisfy the real demands of demanding plants.

Cheers,

Thanks for the quick reply!

Don't worry on that regard, I am dosing CO2 and various ferts. The only problem I'm having is a shedding off leaves lower down the plants, leaving them bare and "stalky" but super top-heavy, which I believe is due to low light levels, hence why I want to know if it's possible to add a single T5 tube somehow.

Err..No mate. Shedding leaves is ALWAYS due to poor CO2, not due to low light.

This is exactly what I mean. Everyone automatically assumes that the solution to their problems is in adding more light, but only one in a million tanks actually benefit from adding more light. The other 999,999 tanks get destroyed by having their owners add more light.

Cheers,

Hi Jporter, there are certain criteria for success but first & foremost on a system using pressurised C02 is to ensure all the plants are receiving sufficient amounts of the gas.
You need to get the C02 enriched water to every corner & every nook & cranny obversely including all your plants as well.
You can achieves this by using sufficient flow inside the tank via your filter flow & addisionele pumps if necessary.
You will need about 10 x the tank volume circulating around every hour.
You then need to ensure you have enough C02 in the water, you can check this by using a drop checker.
Get the gas & flow right as a priority, then start useing the etimated index (EI) way of adding fertilisers.
You can then watch your plants grow.......

Back