• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Advice needed plz for newbie

lisab30

Seedling
Hi ppl completely new to the forum, wanted advice on starting planted aquraium. We have a 6ft by 2ft by 2ft tank which we are only wanting to plant around 2ft of? We currently have your standard light unit for fish viewing only so need to know what lighting would be best and hopefully not cost a fortune?? The plants we like and are considering are as follows.....
Eleocharis acicularis
Alternanthera sessilis
Rotala rotundifolia
Anubias congensis
Cryptocoryne balansae
we are planning to use a c02 diffuser also. if there is anything i have missed just ask? not sure what else i need to add?? thanks advice really appreciated :))

Hello,
Welcome to the forum. If you are wise you will use the standard light that came with your tank. This will save you time, money and headaches. Lights for viewing fish happens to be excellent for growing plants. None of the plants you listed really care that the purpose of the light is to view fish.

Here is a general rule of thumb that you can take to the bank; Any light that you can see with your naked eye is excellent for growing any plant.

Cheers,

As a relative newbie myself (18 months in on this planted lark!) I'd say read as much as you can off of the forum. There's tons of great advice here and don't be shy to ask. Have a look at the journals, particularly those by other newbs. That'll help with your planning and also to avoid the pitfalls (although learning from your mistakes is all part of it).
Good luck with your new set up, starting a new tank is amazing fun, I'm a wee bit jealous!

thank you ive had fish for a wile then i got a nice 6ft 2ft by 2ft tank looks grate but i think a planted tank and the green look is what it needs to look even better ime thinking 2 difrent worlds create an arch way in the center of the tank 1 half a green world and the other rocky i like 2 be difrent and when its 6ft stuck in my sitting room its got to look da bomb lol thank you for all your advice looking forward to hear more i will get pics up of the tank the way it sits now

553068_10151392213571789_820976711_n.jpg

Back