• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Algae and Flow

youmustcomply

Hello,

I think I have realised that my algae issues are down to flow around my tank. So i have bought a hydor koralia nano. I should be getting this through the post early next week.
However im not sure of placement if i am honest. Please see the photo were i have marked in red is where i plan on putting it. Probably half way down the tank. Any suggestions.

Spec:
Fluval Roma 200 litre
2x T5HO 39W
Lights on 10 hours a day ( 3hours in morning, 2 hours in afternoon and 5 hours in the evening)
Eheim 2075
EI dosing
5KG FE connected to a CO2 atomiser. (2 hours before light, and 1 our before lights off)
Hydor ETH 300w
Temp 30 Degrees (Discus)

flow.jpg

i have a similar setup with a dead spot around the front at the end under the spray bar, and was thinking about doing what you about too, an placing it where youve marked. can you post up how you get on? thanks

Yes I have green blanket algae nearly taking up the whole of the front of my glass. I have CO2 being pumped in my Im guessing it isnt getting everywhere. Once I get the Hydor I will let you know the results :)

I use scattered light so I actually see the tank when I am home.
Is it not feasible to do this?

if your around more in the evening why not have your lights turn on later. i leave the curtain drawn at the end my tank is in an have the lights come on at 10 so the tanks viewable all evening.

Im up for trying anything to get rid of this algae!
So 6 - 7 hours in a single hit will be best?

Would it not also be a bit more beneficial to have the spray bar fixed along the back blowing to the front and down? I would have thought with how it is at the minute, the flow would be far less at the opposite end of the tank, where as positioned along the back, there is less distance to travel? I have changed to recently to this way from reading a post on here and it's much better IMO :D

Alastair

I actually moved from the spray bar at the back. This is because the standard eheim pipes dont make it very easy. as i believe i was losing quite alot of flow with using 90o bends. Im also trying to keep things neat.
Im hoping the addition of the koralia will make up for the movement of the spray bar.

However if this fails i will be forced to have the spraybar along the back.

youmustcomply said:
I actually moved from the spray bar at the back. This is because the standard eheim pipes dont make it very easy. as i believe i was losing quite alot of flow with using 90o bends. Im also trying to keep things neat.
Im hoping the addition of the koralia will make up for the movement of the spray bar.

However if this fails i will be forced to have the spraybar along the back.

this is the same problem i had, trying to get the eheim pipes to bend so will go along the back. Have you looked at there installation kit? it looks like it adjusts so can have the spray bar at any angle.

I got my koralia today, however i think i may need an additional one, as about half of the tank are swaying nicely however there still seems to be a dead spot.
I think i will order another one this evening.

Back