• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

algae outbreak in new 5ft planted

Cheers for the follow up EnderUK and ceg4048
Well Andy, even I have learnt something about high Nitrates in a planted aquarium... and also about aquariums being near a window. I enjoy learning something new everyday and really appreciate the guidance here - thanks

Mental note to myself... I will no longer bother with a nitrate test kit in a planted tank..[DOUBLEPOST=1404829529][/DOUBLEPOST]Andy, if you do decide to go for the EI DIY dosing kit here is a link to the discount code

http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/ukaps-discount.14650/

And of course here is a link to the site with the starter kit. There is a youtube video on the site showing how to mix it all together. I could not believe how easy it is to make your own

http://www.aquariumplantfood.co.uk/fertilisers/dry-chemicals/starter-kits/ei-starter-kit.html

Last edited:
I remember that I was a bit scared in putting so much ferts in my tank and I had algae all over of every kind...now I dose 2 times more Nitrates, 2 times more Phosphate, 2 times more...well I guess you get the idea ....and as result, no more algae.
I'm not saying that more ferts will kill your algae, I'm sure it won't, but more ferts won't give you algae.

There is no point in making mixes for a 5 foot tank. Just dump the powders directly into the tank on schedule and get on with it.

Nutrition is never about killing. Nutrition make plants healthy enough to resist algal attacks.

Cheers,

Big THANK YOU to all of you who have taken the time to read my post and reply!
Some of you have proposed some radical ideas IMO - such as dismantle and re-start or '95%' water changes, these ideas would not have worked for me as its taken ages to hardscape and plant all the different species in there correct areas, but i still appreciate youre comments. I think if it were green water algae then you have no choice but to start from scratch.
You will all be pleased to know that the algae is now on the decrease, my lighting is back up to 6hours a day following 3 hour days for a week, and most of my plants are doing okay or very well. About 90% of the algae is dead dying or has been removed and it hasn't resurfaced for 4 days.

At some point I will do a larger post to explain how i have made these changes if people are interested, but the changes have been brought about through the advice that many of you have given.

I would like to start dosing using PURE dry salts. I am looking to get mono potassium phosphate or di- potassium phosphate and also a form of micro nutrients which does not include Copper or if it does, not enough to kill shrimp as I plan on keeping amano shrimp in the near future.

If you have any recommendations for good products I would welcome your ideas. Nitrates are sorted hence not interested in kno3

thanks again :)

If you have any recommendations for good products I would welcome your ideas.
Recommendations were provide to you by Carl in post #21.

Copper in trace element mixes are not toxic to shrimp. There is no need to be concerned about that because shrimp actually require copper.

Cheers,

Agree with with Ceg, the quantity of copper you are likeley to encounter in a trace mix will have little impact on amano shrimps unless you are dumping your whole supply in at once and even then id very much doubt it.
The copper content of your tapwater is likely to be as high as the percentages in a trace mix.

Back