• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Another tank bites the dust. Soaked floor again..

I would say too, let it thoroughly dry and take a soft brush and a vacuum cleaner to dust it out. In a wet condition you'll never get it completly out, wet sand keeps sticking. And maybe not need to say but in case, if you plan to take a hair dryer, don't hold it to long in one place to close to the glass. They can get pretty warm and glass can't stand it to get irregularly warmed up, it creates tension in the glass and might crack it. Maybe better to use a small ocsiltating table fan and put that in the tank. To create some air speed in there..

For the activity in the fish it looks kinda like the flow in the tank.. Like if they swim from left to right and stop it looks like they are pushed backwards again and like they need to accelerate their body movement to pick up speed to get foreward again. If they turn f.e. the cory's get already pushed back to the left side again when still not fully turned around. Swinging from right to left they look like just surfing the current, with more speed and less effort and less body movement. :)

Nice Botias btw, look great.. :) How old are they?

Last edited:
The loaches are different ages. 5 of them are 3 years old. The biggest one is older but I don't know how old he is. I've had him for about 2 years and he's the fastest growing. He's got huge. He obviously gets to most of the food too. And I have a baby loach too which I only got a few months ago. He's very outgoing.

Maybe they are indeed playing in the current or fighting it :) I have 3 externals blowing from left to right and there's quite the flow right now. It's over 20x. For some odd reason the clown loaches have been having great fun. I think they'll definitely stay in there for good unless they wreck the plants :) They having been touching the shrimp so far. I saw them look at them sort of and ignore them...for now.....

Last edited:
I'd expect the loaches to eventually hunt & eat all the shrimp, though you may never see any signs of this during the day or lighted hours.

Fish that were not already living with the clowns, may show a big fish~little fish stress response of constantly moving (even if you never observe any overt predatory activity from the bigger fish), make sure the cories have a place to settle where they are not disturbed by the loaches coming through, also try to create areas of low flow in the tank.

I'd be inclined to separate out some of the fish/shrimp into food grade bins (I'm assuming you have multiple filters or can set up air sponges etc ... all you need is some filter media in a yogurt container with air line flow through) - once the fish are settled into what seems like "normal activity" groups, there'll be less pressure to get the big tank sorted.

You definitely want to remove all sand etc before re-sealing - repeated rinsing, (water) vacuuming to remove all water/sand (tilt tank so water etc flows away from compromised area), drying, then (carpet) vacuuming to remove remaining sand grains .... then do this all over again until you can't feel anymore grit, it just takes time & repetition.

How big is this tank?

Last edited:
make sure the cories have a place to settle where they are not disturbed by the loaches coming through, also try to create areas of low flow in the tank.

Thanks alto.
If the clowns eat the shrimp, so be it. I've got hundreds of them in several tanks. I just feel sorry for the poor shrimp.
The loaches were always living with a group of corys and never bothered them or chased them. So I doubt it they'll start now all of a sudden.

There's less flow in one side of the tank behind the driftwood and around it.
I do have one big plastic container in which I can put some of the fish. Bujt how many fish can an 80l hold?
I regret I didn't put the group of corys that were in with the loaches straight away into it, now it's too late. They are around 5 years old and now I can't distinguish all of them from the younger corys.

If you're worried about making a mess of the joints you can always use low tack masking tape to get a neat finish.

Yup thats the way :) take one that's wide enough so you can smear away as much as you want and work fast. Make sure you have enough kit, as long the glass is spotless clean and degreased with alcohol there isn't much that can go wrong. Preparing is the most work of all. And pull the tape out when kit is still wet. Don't let it skin, that it can do pretty fast sertain kits start skinning within 20 minutes, so with a big tank you have to speed up a bit so you're finished within the skinning time of the kit. If the tube doesn't give information about skinning time make, ask for it.

That's why low tack tape is so important. You can't afford tape scrapping sesions nor coffee breaks in between kitting. :)

And if your tank is to deep to work comfortably and difficult to stick the tape in a straight line over the whole lenght. Buy an aloy 90 degrees corner profile, lay that in the corner as a guidance, and make somebody hold it in place while you stick tape. You only need 1 about the lenght of the inside of your tank if all seams go same thikness, say 5 or 10 mm.. Actualy no idea what the best seam widht should be in your tank size.. :)

Why aloy, they are always straight, wooden or plastic profiles are mostly bend and or crooked.

I am thinking of using the CT1 sealant again. I used it for my other tank and it has held great for the last year and a half at least...for now...

http://www.sealantsonline.co.uk/ProductGrp/000200380003

Any objections of using this? Has anyone used it to reseal an entire tank and how many bottles will I need? Would 2 suffice? One bottle holds 290ml.

Back