• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Anyone had problems introducing otocinclus

They look skinny and the redness is normally a sign of secondary infections etc.
Yeah I thought this. Most likely stress related. As I said in a previous answer I do have a male and female GBR in the tank and the male is a bit of a bossy sod to be honest and is forever chasing the other inhabitants!

When l got my small group ,first time having them l couldn't see any in the shop tanks, the shop owner said he kept them upstairs with the quarantine as they tended not do well otherwise. Also advising they tend to do better in established planted tanks. I do believe they are a fish that stress can overwhelm them. One suffered a mystery illness that cleared up ,so l put it down to stress reaction. It lost all its color to creamy white and after quarantine with Melafix after few days recovered,

How do you feed your cucumber etc? I soaked some in boiled water for 10 minute but still had to weigh it down with a stone to get it to sink!
The Screwcumber of course!

Ceramic hook, had it years, it was a freebie when I purchased some ceramic breeding caves

IMG_3020.jpeg
IMG_3019.jpeg

Firstly I's like to thank all of you for your input. I'm overwhelmed with the number responses and invaluable advice and information. This forum is blessed with some very helpful and knowledgeable people!

I took some of your advice and added some botanicals yesterday along with a bit of a replant based on some advice on another post. It's not really visible yet as it's tucked behind the crypt in front of the filter. I've added some Rotala rotundifolia 'H'ra' to hopefully hide the filter a bit!

I think, (and I say think) I still have 4 oto's but I can't be 100% as I can't quite see round the back of the tank but I'm hoping the 4 are still hanging in there. I'm fairly confident at least 2 are doing okay and looking reasonably healthy but will be keeping an eye on them over the coming weeks.

Thanks again!

Attachments

• PXL_20240329_160003704.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg
    PXL_20240329_160003704.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 43
  • PXL_20240329_160304642.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240329_160304642.MP.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 38
  • PXL_20240329_164901052.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg
    PXL_20240329_164901052.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 37
  • PXL_20240329_164903068.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg
    PXL_20240329_164903068.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 48
Last edited:
It's a lovely little scape, with the Rams and Bloodfins adding an occasional and welcome shock of colour. Keep at it!

I'm rooting for the little guys, I love ottos!
The tank is looking great now, it won't take long for the botanicals to soften & begin to grow some biofilm, I would still add supplementary fresh veggies though.
Have you tried any of the Repashy foods, I haven't but there are guys who do use them & say they are good to tempt picky eaters?
You may get some tanning staining in the water but I think it can look nice & it does fade after a while. I 'top the tan up' with alder cones.

I'm rooting for the little guys, I love ottos!
The tank is looking great now, it won't take long for the botanicals to soften & begin to grow some biofilm, I would still add supplementary fresh veggies though.
Have you tried any of the Repashy foods, I haven't but there are guys who do use them & say they are good to tempt picky eaters?
You may get some tanning staining in the water but I think it can look nice & it does fade after a while. I 'top the tan up' with alder cones.
No not tried those foods but will look them up! I've tried cucumber unsuccessfully so will have to keep trying or try something else!

No not tried those foods but will look them up! I've tried cucumber unsuccessfully so will have to keep trying or try something else!
The place I purchased my otto’s from fed repashy, I fed it for a while
Initially mine liked osi spirulina (it’s real spirulina not just green discs😂😂), most of the fish like it
I also occasionally feed sera flora (my go to tropheus food), even the angelfish like it, I don’t see the otto’s eating anything but biofilm/algae nowadays

Another thought about sinking the food- you could push the veg through one of the ceramic rings used as plant weights (in pots). I'll try this in the next couple of days.

Update: Definitely 3 otos seen all at once of the 6 originally purchased. 2 I know perished and were removed from the tank which leaves one unaccounted for. I could just be elusive and hiding around the back and could be that the 3 I see are not always the same 3 but I suspect I only have 3 survivors which is a little disappointing but not a disaster!

Thanks again for all of your help and advice!

Back