• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aqua at pet shop - Season 2 - layout #6

2016/03/06 - 3 months

I've slightly reworked back side under tree - removed bigger plants, and put there what I think is more tolerant to low light. Will see whether it works. Sorry for poor photo, but it's not great in flesh anyway, although I like it.

24932361434_51420cef0b.jpg60x30x36 - 3 months by Alexander, on Flickr

But I'm sure I don't need any extra plants at the top of the tree. I'll try to revert back to January state. Sometimes it's fun to do some experiments, but it's not late to go back. Yet.

@tim thank you for feedback.

What do you mean by "behind the tree"? Do you mean on the ground? Or at the back side of the tree itself?

On the ground I've re-planted pogostemon sp. meng-meng, here is better photo of the original clump I had couple weeks ago:

24948939931_f84a16405d.jpgPogostemon sp. Meng Meng by Alexander, on Flickr

Here is back side of the tank:

25562855885_19f65a6fe8.jpg60x30x36 - 3 months by Alexander, on Flickr

There are mainly stem plants, many different species.

Maybe top view will be better?

25444303332_911d742e4c.jpg60x30x36 - 3 months by Alexander, on Flickr

Yeah, that pogostemon has very smooth pattern on the distance, it's hard to see its leaves. Let's see whether it works here.

Reactions: tim
Starting layout #6

Good news: I've managed to fix my atomiser with help of epoxy glue. About 1/3 price of new atomiser - I have repaired one.

Other news: at the mid-March I finally re-designed this layout to something different. I think this Bolbitis was too much: too big, too much shade. I diagnosed myself with strange desire to have a bigger tank. Probably 120 cm would be enough. My wife said - well, you just need another home then. It was very clear :) :(

Well, this is fresh picture of the tank after redesign, with some new fish here (flame tetra - very nice fish, BTW!)

26379519896_124558852e_z.jpglayout #6 - 2 weeks by Alexander, on Flickr

This is start of layout #6. As you might imagine - the wood is the same, just positioned differently. I still need to add more plants at sides. Shorter plants of course - I like the idea to have taller plants around taller branches only, thus making island-style again.

I'd like to mention that new layout is somewhat influenced by this great Amano's work: http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/favourite-takashi-amano-photos.40289/#post-437346

Last edited:
I diagnosed myself with strange desire to have a bigger tank. Probably 120 cm would be enough.
you must begin with 2 x 60cm tanks, then mention how nice it would be have only a single slightly bigger tank ... 120cm tank is only slightly wider than 2 x 60cm tanks ;)

the wood is the same, just positioned differently
versatile wood :D
I have some old dark (almost black) wood that I've used many times.

I was not such a fan of the "tree" in the beginning, but will miss it now, it really was very well done ... of course, a new scape is always so much fun :)

Thank you guys, I hope this time it will be much better. Although I liked the tree style, but it had some drawbacks.
This wood has another 2 different angles, I might try in the future.
I hope I can get something out this new layout for this year contest. Will see.

(About) 1.5 months update

26829757125_193a5352e1_z.jpg60x30x36 - layout #6 - 1.5 months(?) by Alexander, on Flickr

This layout looks better and better every week. The photo above has taken after maintenance and trimming. I hope it will look great in couple of weeks.
Somehow my layouts in that shop are more successfull at spring-summer time. I dunno why. Maybe something in the air? :)

And this is just photo on the go I walked home through small town park and suddenly saw this splash of colors. This picture is very close to what I'd like to see in the tank - different nice colors and textures.

26225204963_59cf40def0.jpgSpring colors by Alexander, on Flickr

~2 months update

It's about 2 months milestone, but the tank is better and better each week, thanks to the fact it was already about 5 months mature. Last weekend I've tried to get something for this year's contest with help of the same photographer I work with during last year or. I hope we were lucky enoug to catch some good shots.

26988652721_049b158eff_z.jpg60x30x36 - 2 months by Alexander, on Flickr

The fish are extremely stubborn or maybe too much brave. They do not fear any trick that worked with other less confident fish in the past. I literally had to use pincetes to move fish from undesired spot near side glass. It was crazy.

Wow, very Nice Colors in this scape, plants and fishes are going very well together! :clap:

One word about the eheim 'lily pipe' design; that thing is looking ridiculous, please eheim guys, makes some clear tubing and an decent looking pipe!:shifty:

Back