• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Arcadia 80 OTL LED - Power setting

AndyMcD

I'm concerned about algae outbreaks. Many people on this forum have recommended setting light at a sensible level (not too high) to avoid algae issues.

I'd very much appreciate people's opinions on how much I should reduce the light intensity from the maximum. I understand that increasing CO2 levels would allow me to use more light.

The light I have is LED, so I can reduce the light intensity. The light is sat on the top of the tank, so I cannot raise the height of the light to change light level.

I'm setting up an aquascape with an Arcadia 80mm OTL LED. The tank is 400mm high.

This is the journal:
http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/after-the-riffle-140l-liquid-carbon.38821/

This image from the Arcadia website shows the PAR levels for the light:
Arcadia%20PAR%20map.gif

I've copied this image from this forum. Note well - distance from the light is measured in inches. Therefore, 15 inches is approximately 400mm:

HighLowLightMap.jpe

The majority of plants I have are in Tropica's
Medium category.

So, to achieve a PAR of 80 (boundary between medium / high light) at 15 inches / 400mm, I should set the 240 PAR max at 30% to 40%.

Does this seem reasonable?

If anyone happens to look at this thread in the future, even at 25% to 33% at 5.5 hours photoperiod (which includes 45 mins ramp up and 45 ramps down) with maximum liquid carbon dosage, I had an algae outbreak (Rhizoclonium) in the first few weeks.

This light is bright!

Updating this thread in case anyone is looking for info about people's experience with this light.

The algae outbreak appears to have turned the corner, with the light set at level 5 (out of 24) with a photoperiod of 5.5 hours.

I'm dosing Easycarbo at the recommended max daily dose. Ottos, shrimps, snails and water changes have helped.

I've bought a pressurised CO2 kit and once I've installed it I will turn up the power on the light... gradually!

Hello, thanks for sharing your experience, this light looks indeed powerful, looking at the PAR ratings and your personal experience with it.

Michel.

Back