• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Arcadia Classica Stretch vs 15 W T8

I'm stuck now, because
1 bar is plenty for medium to low tech. I have 2 on my 60cm and yeah it can be dim.

This is the dimmer for a good price at £3.19 you cant go wrong lol http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121122503636?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

last few weeks i change to a bright 72w led. Lots of light ;)

20150302_201609.jpg

Is that tank with the new LEDs or the aquabars?

I purchased a 23w and have not yet managed to get my plants to adopts to it, is it safe to run both sets of LED during the day (i.e. daytime and dimmed LED's)?

It's running on a timer so I dont have any lights on in the evening.

I have a 60x30x30 tank in which I changed the T8 for an Arcadia stretch. All I can say is it grows crypts and moss very well :) I reckon way better than the T8 I had. And I like the colour it gives and yes, it's low light but does fine probably because the tank is so shallow. But there are better ones out there giving you more options in case you need it.

Are there any alternatives to the Arcadia Stretch that spring to mind for a low-tech tank? I need something quick because the old light unit just failed on my low-tech 45cm tank and I want to get a replacement. The Arcadia Stretch is the right price and the right type of frame - anything else I should consider before I buy?

Are there any alternatives to the Arcadia Stretch that spring to mind for a low-tech tank? I need something quick because the old light unit just failed on my low-tech 45cm tank and I want to get a replacement. The Arcadia Stretch is the right price and the right type of frame - anything else I should consider before I buy?

Hi daize,

I've not got read anything about these lights but I too have been looking for an alternative for the arcadia at a low cost.

I've come across these novatouch led bars (not got them personally) that comes with a dimmer that apparently can fade in or fade out. There is a picture of a tank that is planted, so I assumed they'd be for planted tanks too.

http://novatouch.co.uk/shop/index.php?route=product/product&path=60_61&product_id=51

Have a look and see what you think.
Also, o my 60cm tank, I have these:

http://www.co2art.co.uk/collections/lighting/products/up-pro-led-light-u-series-p-45cm

And you can move the clips along the light to suit your tank preference if you're not quote 45cm etc.

In my tank I have these lights on 4 hours daily and I dose EI ferts and use easycarbo. I have monte Carlo growing, hygrophila polysperma, staurogyne repens, bacopa monnieri, echinodorus angustifolius and had some java Moss. All of these are doing brilliantly. I have added some eleocharis sp mini, Ludwigia sp. Mini super red, rotala rotundifolia to see how some slightly more demanding species will do, and they so far have not died and are growing at least!

Hope that helps a bit! Good luck, let us know what you get in the end and how it goes.

Cheers.

Lauriedear

Thanks Laurie Dear,
I'm no expert on LED lights but the Novatouch ones look a bit gimmicky to me. I can't see any rating for the LEDs so I'd have to assume they are cheap 0.1W type bulbs and not intended for plant growth.

That UP Pro LED looks the proper business! :) I'd love to see a pic of your tank. 20W of LED light might be a bit too much for me (not using EasyCarbo on this tank) but maybe with a lot of floaters...! I'll look into it and have a think, tyvm for the link!

Cheers,
Daize

I haven't really looked much Daize. For that same price as Arcadia I doubt it there are many alternatives. I was once advised elsewhere as a cheap and functional alternative for plants to try these:

Bulb
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/E27-Dimma...Domain_3&var=570695506517&hash=item3f4c1705bb

Gooseneck to attach the bulb
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aquarium-Gooseneck-Clamp-E26-E27-LED-Lamp-Mount-coral-reef-par/121658535340?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=1&asc=20140107083358&meid=950c8ce38baa458fbd36617965b0ab8a&pid=100011&rk=1&rkt=1&sd=121330558047

Hi daize, not a problem, I've not seen the novatouch before and seen no ratings so assumption is probably correct

I'll take a picture when I'm home later today for you. Probably evening time UK. I've been on holiday for 5 days so I've not actually seen my tank for about a week!

You can buy a dimmer for the LEDs from eBay cheap enough :)

re:aquabars - one would be about a single T5+ and wouldn't break the bank.

I was lazy and didn't want to buy the extra mounts so just stuck mine on top of the tank (got a glass lid to keep the old cat out).

2 on this tank (first link in sig)

IMG_2742.png

Hi daize. Sorry it's a bit late but as requested, here is my tank.

5667c48eb7d321de4ce47f1099ee8186.jpg

Like I said, I have mine 100% for 4 hours split into 2+2 hours during the day and I dose EI ferts.

Hope that helps. I plan on getting th3 smallest size (45cm) for my other tanks I'm not happy with the beamworks I have for that.

Lovely healthy plants :)
Thanks for posting. I like the natural colour compared to the Arcadia Stretch.
I thought that plants needed a minimum continuous 4 hr photoperiod though to make efficient use of the light?

Thank you. I really like these lights and they do not cost much in comparison to others.

I'm not 100% sure. I only have a break as I've ready algae hate a break and I had some bad algae issues. Maybe in the near future I'll put up 4hours continuous but in the meantime if anyone can shed some light on this then that would be appreciated. I don't mean to hijack BTW.

Back