• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Armano Shrimp Larvae or parasite?

Just_vikki

Hellooooo!

I was just moving some of my Bristlenose Babies from my community tank to prepare for my LFS. Then I saw something in the water that looked like a parasite.

Finally i've removed it, and managed to film it. Now i'm thinking, is it possibly an Armano?
Screenshot_20240405_191050_Video Player.jpg
Screenshot_20240405_191050_Video Player.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240405_190642_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240405_190642_Gallery.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 22
Hi all,
It looks like a Glassworm, Chaoborus midge larva.
It is. They are predators of Daphnia, and may have been introduced with some Daphnia? They occur in clean water ponds without (m)any fish, and are a top live food item for small cichlids, tetras etc.
I saw something in the water that looked like a parasite.
You don't need to worry, basically anything big enough to see and in the water column isn't a parasite, it could potentially be a predator (like a <"Dragonfly larvae">) but 99% of the time it will be benign.

I deliberately keep the "Water Louse" (<"Asellus aquaticus"> (which are <"aesthetically challenged">)) in the aquariums (some are in "public places" (below)), and people often tell me they've seen "a parasite" in the tanks.

tank_backoflab-jpg.jpg

cheers Darrel

Thank you. It did come in with Daphinia, as noticed after feeding small tank. Appreciate the response.

Back