• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Atomizer or reactor for an Up A-153 Regulator.

Markmark

In the process of setting up new tank and am thinking of scrapping my glass diffuser in favour of either an Up inline atomizer or an Aqua medic reactor. Working pressure is factory set and showing 65psi on the gauge at present which caculates at 4.48bar.

Plan A is to run a second external Fluval 205 with an Up Atomizer connected to the intake. This would be used like a reactor although not sure what media to put in it.( Im sure someones already done this but cant find the post)

Plan B is to run the second filter with normal biologcal media in it and connect an Aqua Medic reactor to this filter.

Any thoughts, suggestions.

Cheers
Mark

Two thoughts 4.5 bar is the highest pressure I have heard of yet! Most atomisers work at 1.5 - 2bar & they are designed to work after the filter.
If you fit it in front of the filter & supply 4.5 bar then get ready for an early guy fawkes night!
You will most likely get a build up of gas inside the canister, so you would need a system to release the build up but unless you use a clear canister then you wont know when this happens.
If you wanted to be really clever then you could modify the filter with a venturi loop design or - you could just buy an external "reactor" instead?

Cheers, I did think it sounded rather high. The reg has been set at factory and definatly reads 60psi. According to the box 1bar =14.5psi. So 60 divided by 14.5=4.13 bar. Does that sound right? why would they pre set at such high working pressure?

Make double sure that they haven't put the gauges on the wrong way round by chance. They did it with mine ha ha. The working pressure should still have 0 bar 1 bar 2 bar etc. you may find they've even put the same guadges either side. Have you got a pic.
If the reg had been set at such high pressure the bubbles on your glass diffuser would have been super big.
Running the inline atomiser on the intake will shorten its life as its not getting clean water through it, it would keep getting clogged quickly.
Get some pics up of what it looks like, and if your unsure of if it is running that high, next week I could pop you out the super atomiser internal diffuser just to see of that works as it requires 2 bar plus to work do if that did then you know your inline will be possible.
Or just save the hassle and buy or make a reactor. That will run at any pressure but I'd be worried running at such high working pressure

Thanks for the reply. Being an UP branded reg which I presume is Chinese there are no bar readings on the dials only psi and kg/cm2. Cheers for the offer but alas I have the crappy ribbed Fluval hosing on my filter so not sure if I could get a proper connection.
The bubbles seem fine, whilst not a super fine mist they are not huge and I am putting this down to a cheap glass diffuser.
Going to loosen or remove reg tomorrow to see if it can be adjusted in any way with the allan key provided. Hopefully both hands will still be intact to update this thread!

Yeah your right, 4 bar it is then. I think I will go for the Aqua Medic 1000 external reactor. A bit pricey but no more so than a descent diffuser and less hassle cleaning weekly. Thanks for all the advise tho.
Cheers
Mark

Back