• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Azales Tale,

critch

Been growing plants n keeping fish for years,
This is my 1st tank, really thinking about where the wood n plants should actually go tank,

Tank...Aqua one 35ltr,
Substrate.. 8ltr Tesco Cat litter,
Hardscape..Azales Root,
Lighting..Tmc 400 tile,
Fertaliser ..10ml Ei dosing, alternative days,

50% weekly waterchanges,

Fauna,
Java Fern,
Cryptocoryne,
Cryptocoryne Amicourum,
Polygonum Sao Paulo,
Hydrophilic guanesis,
Pogostemon Helfri,
Plant on right cannot remember,

21 Bee Shrimp,

Sorry about the reflection,

2d39072eb4a8e611c68bc651c26b58a3.jpg

Last edited:
Hi critch thanks, looks just fine. I am using the same substrate and wanted to see how you get along.
Keep them coming

Thanks Martin,
At the start I was going to do 10% as I was worried about the shrimp , but now i do 50% changes,

View from my office
9ddc160c8fde6790a4ea45378ebee5a9.jpg

Update,
Have a slight algea problem in one small area, think it is Blanket weed,

I am really struggling getting the
Helferi to root in the substrate, going to perceiver for another 2 weeks, then may change it for something else,

Otherwise all the others seem to have rooted well, including the grass,

Little update as posted above, fell out with the Helferi it keep uprooting,
So changed it for Enchlonorus Tenellius,
87cfc21fd87ec72c6aabde5fa26bc96e.jpg

Not sure I will use cat litter again, sand was so much easier, also algea is beating me at the moment,

As far as cat litter is concerned, given that its the same consistency as other aquarium specialized brands, I see no issue reusing it, especially for the money.
I have been using it for 5 months, still same shape as originally used (not turning to mud). I too have issues with uprooting - not sure if I can only blame the substrate or the flying foxes that keep messing with the dhg... Maybe capping with thinner sand can help. All (stem) plants other than hair grass are doing OK.

Back