• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Big enough filter?

Samurai303

Hi,

I currently have a Juwel Rio 240 tank that is currently running on a Fluval 405 external and I don't think it is up to the job. Prior to this I had a Tetratec EX1200 that was a far better filter all round, apart from when it started leaking/pumping... The tank has been set up for nearly 5 years so I'm looking to clean it out and re-scape etc. and work out a rough budget. I'm running CO2 on an in-tank diffuser atm, but am looking to move to in-line with the re-scape, probably Up Atomizer or equivalent. I have a Hydor in-line heater.

Would a single Eheim 2078 be enough for a tank of this size or would 2 filters be better? If I went the 2 filter route, would this mean having to double up on the CO2 atomizers (I assume I can just tee off of a single FE)? Due to cabinet size I can't fit in a bigger single filter such as a Eheim 2080 or FX5 as they are too wide.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Chris

Hi Samurai, in terms of filtration the 2078 would be ample. It puts out good flow too (I own one). To save space and also cost, you could rig up an external pump for additional flow and CO2 input. Something like a Newjet 3000 or Eheim compact 3000 would be excellent. Just put your CO2 diffuser inline on the return from the pump and job's a good'un. I currently run a 2078 and 2173 on my 180L 90x45x45. Its wasted and I am thinking of doing exactly what I mention above :) The other alternative is to go for the Eheim 2075 (cheaper than the 2078) and spend the difference on a Vortech MPW 10ES as this has the fancy electronic stuff that the E2078 will provide.

I decided to pull the plug on a 2078 today as there was one on ebay going at a price I couldn't refuse. I'll see how it goes and look at adding an external pump if required.

Back