• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Brown Plants

C00ki3

Hi all,

I seem to be having a bit of trouble with my plants they all seem to of gone a yellowy brown mostly round the edges of the leaves. This is a 27lt cube and i'm trying to keep it low tech and natural so I'm only doing a 20% water change once every 2 weeks.

I'm presuming this is problem some nutrient diffiency or lack of Co2. As i don't want to go high tech is my only option to increase the number of fish in the tank? I currently have just 12 endlers in here at the moment.

It may also be brown algea but it doesn't seem to rub off, would i normally be able to rub the aglea off with my fingers?

Below are some pictures sorry about the quality but i'm working with a iphone 3gs and its the best i can get.

Its doesn't show up too well in this large shot

001rhg.jpg

Here are the closer shots

002vex.jpg

096f.jpg

99.99% of planted tank issues are lack of CO2 for the supplied nutrient and light levels.

larger water changes weekly rather than 2 weekly higher amounts of ferts and a liquid carbon should sort it.

for example that leafy stem in the front left of your last picture I have in my low tech tank and it grows so fast its up and out of the water a week after trimming back (hint this plant doesn't convert well to being emersed :) )

Hi, Thanks for the replies.

I thought it might be diatomes as there are some on the glass (you can just see them in the first picture) and some on the heater (that brown tint to it) and had hoped they would go away but its been like that for 6 weeks or so. I was thinking of getting some cherry red shrimp to help with with algea and clean up so maybe these would help clean it up?

As i'm going SERIOUSLY low tech i'm not adding liquid co2 or ferts so my question still stands would more than 12 endlers help keep the plants healthier? and would it be to many for the space in the tank?

Back