• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Bubbles - water surface

-Aslan-

Hello all, My name is Aslan and I'm new in this group.
I hope everyone is doing well.

I recently built a planted tank and going through some problems.. I hope you can help me find solutions.

My tank photo is attached, but let me give you some info about the tank so you can have an idea of it,

Tank size 60cm x 30cm x 30cm
Lighting: Chihiros wrgb 2 hanging 20cms above the water surface
Filter: Aquael Ultrafilyer 900
Co2: Azoo 2L cylinder with Azoo solenoid regulator, attached to Aquario Neo Special L size diffuser. (currently off)
Co2 Drop Checker: Azoo

Livestock:
20 cardinal tetras
2 electric blue ram
1 small bristlenose pleco
4 glass catfish
4 horned nerite snail
1 helmet nerite snail
1 ram horn snail
6 small amano shtrimps
3 orange laser corydoras

Plants: phoenix moss, anubias mini, many bucephalandras, cryptocorynes, lotus, Ludwigia super red

Problem 1)
For the last two weeks i cant get the co2 drop checker right.. It is always staying in Yellow color (over)
I tried increasing the water agitation, change some percentage of water but no change.

Problem 2) bubbles.... Every morning i wake up there are some bubbles on the water surface.
I thought it would be due to biofilm but its not.
They dont pop upon contact. They keep gathering more and more.. Especially around the driftwoods that are sticking out of water surface..

Problem 3) there are some green mold on the driftwoods that are sticking out of the water surface. Tried cleaning it but it just keeps coming more..
Could it be related to the co2 levels or bubbles??
Would it be harmful to the livestock and water quality?

All parameters are in the correct side. Ph is around 7-7.2
Water temperature id at 23-24 c degrees
Light schedule is between 12pm to 9pm, 30 mins ramp time.

How to stop these bubbles?
What could be wrong with the co2 levels?

Regards!

Attachments

• IMG_20240302_170433.jpg
    IMG_20240302_170433.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 55
  • IMG_20240302_170324.jpg
    IMG_20240302_170324.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20240302_170329.jpg
    IMG_20240302_170329.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20240302_170334.jpg
    IMG_20240302_170334.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20240302_170340.jpg
    IMG_20240302_170340.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Hello 👋, welcome.

You appear to have two drop checkers. One is showing yellow and the other blue. Does the blue one ever change colour? when does the co2 come in and when does it go off again?

Those bubbles are very few in number. And your water surface looks very clean, so I wouldn’t be concerned about them. I suspect they accumulate around the driftwood as its furthers away from you filter return where the surface is calmer.

I doubt if the green mold will harm your fish as it’s above the water surface.

Hello 👋, welcome.

You appear to have two drop checkers. One is showing yellow and the other blue. Does the blue one ever change colour? when does the co2 come in and when does it go off again?

Those bubbles are very few in number. And your water surface looks very clean, so I wouldn’t be concerned about them. I suspect they accumulate around the driftwood as its furthers away from you filter return where the surface is calmer.

I doubt if the green mold will harm your fish as it’s above the water surface.
I recently added the glass one, just to see if the yellow is working. the yellow one is azoo, the solution is yellowish color, the other one is regular, its blue. They never changed color.

Few days back when i increased the water flow of the filter in order to accelerate the agitation, they changed color slightly but then went back to these colors.
Azoo: indicating over
Other indicating low.

Bubbles are few in numbers because i just cleaned them, 2 mins prior to this photo there were none.

Im afraid to turn on the co2 hence the checker readings.
But initially the co2 system is timed to turn on 1 hour before lights go on and turns off 1 hour before it goes off.
1 bubble per second.

They never changed color.
+
1 bubble per second.
Suggests insufficient CO2
Few days back when i increased the water flow of the filter in order to accelerate the agitation, they changed color slightly
When you turn CO2 back on, I’d suggest increasing your flow to ensure it’s moved all around the aquarium. Increase your CO2 until you get a colour change on the drop checkers.

Last edited:
Nice looking tank!!!

How long has the tank been running? I feel 1 bubble per second might be too low but if you don’t have algae issues then you should be okay with the amount.

As for the bubbles, have you used a surface skimmer? There are few different ones, stand alone or ones that can be attached to the filter inlet or outlet. I have personally seen surface skimmer reducing these bubbles in my tank, however a good lily pipe is also beneficial and they work together to get enough agitation in the surface.

Problem 2) bubbles.... Every morning i wake up there are some bubbles on the water surface.
I thought it would be due to biofilm but its not.
They dont pop upon contact. They keep gathering more and more.. Especially around the driftwoods that are sticking out of water surface..
Welcome,
Are you using Root Tabs by any chance?
Cheers!

+

Suggests insufficient CO2

When you turn CO2 back on, I’d suggest increasing your flow to ensure it’s moved all around the aquarium. Increase your CO2 until you get a colour change on the drop checkers.

Will do this and give you updates tomorrow. I'm located in Qatar so, its already 20:35atm.lights just started dimming off

Nice looking tank!!!

How long has the tank been running? I feel 1 bubble per second might be too low but if you don’t have algae issues then you should be okay with the amount.

As for the bubbles, have you used a surface skimmer? There are few different ones, stand alone or ones that can be attached to the filter inlet or outlet. I have personally seen surface skimmer reducing these bubbles in my tank, however a good lily pipe is also beneficial and they work together to get enough agitation in the surface.
Thank you!

I had it on dark start for about a momth, and then planted it and ran it for another 2 weeks, and then added the livestock.

Just realized there are some hair algae in phoenix moss. Not a lot, and only on one mesh (my carpet is phoenix moss on mesh as you can see on the photo), the far right one on the ramp.

Rather than that no algae problem so far.
I ordered some amano shrimps but apparently there is a shprtage worldwide, all the shops are in waiting list so no chance or no idea on when i will be able to get it.

As for the lily pipes and skimmers, i havent used any. I might get it but need to do some research about them first 🙏🙏

Back