• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Building a custom LED strip

tubamanandy

I'm currently using a Fluval Aqualife LED strip for my 72cm x 35cm (net 90 ltr) freshwater planted tank. These LED units cost around £200 and design and colour rendition are top-notch although it simply does not produce enough light for my 50cm deep tank.

I'm looking to build my own based on CREE LED's. Ideally, I'd like to buy a commercial version suitable for my tank but the Fluval unit above is the nearest I've found (unless you all know better). I have built a cree unit in the past with CREE leds basically stuck to the back of a length of aluminium and it worked well.

I want 6500K CREE's but really unsure what voltage leds to use (1v or 3v) and how many and what mix ? Whilst I love the colour rendition of my Fluval unit, simply not enough light or penetration.

Can you give me some pointers as top either 1) A commercial unit 2) A commercial DIY kit I could buyt or 3) Maybe a parts list ?

Thanks and hope you all had a great Christmas

It's all Down to your budget. I want to go led and my budget put me into the build area. If I was better off I'd get a maxspect razor, Tmc grobeams. The reasons you have stated is what's holding me back to. :) I was thinking a mix of warm white and cool white 1w but I also was thinking of the bigger chips/led the use in flood lights but 4 x10w cree. 2 cool 2 warm. There's so many options I've just stuck with the t5's for now as the plants are doing ok and I have spare New tubes. :)

Back