• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
Thank you! People don't seem to appreciate Iwagumi like they used to, it seems it has fallen out of style.
Nice Iwagumi...I think that the style has changed a little over the years especially recently; it's perhaps more acceptable to include taller plants as well and for it to still be considered Iwagumi. This can add greater interest, give the fish a more natural environment and potentially fill out the negative space above. Personally, I've never been a big fan of the traditional style if only because I don't consider it to be very fish friendly, in that the lack of cover can be very stressful for critters. Below is a nice example with taller plants. By definition it's still an Iwagumi since rocks provide the backbone of the scape and still play a leading role.

240_Iwagumi.jpg

I also think that Iwagumi, traditional or otherwise, look better in shallow tanks, or those with a wider aspect ratio, it's easier to fill the tank so there is less negative space above. I'd also like to see yours without the sandy path and fully grown over, I think that'd look good too, and perhaps a little more natural.

DSC_0237-2-1.jpeg

Thanks for the input everyone! I was planning on filling that vertical space more but the stone I planned on having more upright wouldn't safely stay up, so I laid it on it's side - the main stone on the left. I used substrate dams to get the sloping over 12" in the back to try and fill the negative space as much as possible with a less vertically oriented rock scape. Had to make this change on the fly after months of planning.

Here's some close-ups:

DSC_0185.jpeg
DSC_0199.jpeg

Last edited:
Back