• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Colombian Red Fin Tetra or Tiger Barbs

dan4x4

Narrowed my choices down to these 2 for my Juwel Rio 125. (125 litre) Low Tech.

Really cant decide between them.

I like the way the tiger barbs swim around and their behaviour. Also think they're pattern is wild. I dont want the green or albino. I like the red and black but i prefer the tiger looking pattern. Most of my plants are south american and I have a couple aponogeton which i believe are from Madagascar. Although I suspect they will be happy regardless. I was thinking of sticking between 8-10 in.

Alternatively theres the colombian red fin tetra which is slightly smaller I'm lead to believe however when i'm reading up on both species I'm coming across conflicting info, But I'm guessing a bit smaller. I was thinking of a group of about 10 again. I also like these fish because in my eyes they are like mini piranha. Which is one of my absolute favourite fish but I don't have the space for them.

I'm assuming both choices are going to feast on the 4 shrimp I have in there. Also I have millions of daphnia too

Likely easier to find colombians with good conformation & activity - many tiger barb shipments regardless of color morph are a sad looking group with significant incidence of physical deformity & wasting
Adult tiger barbs are often massive but this is usually due to over feeding (not many adult wilds obtain that girth/length) - chose tankmates with care so that you don't need to overfeed the tank in order to get food to all fish

Likely easier to find colombians with good conformation & activity - many tiger barb shipments regardless of color morph are a sad looking group with significant incidence of physical deformity & wasting
Adult tiger barbs are often massive but this is usually due to over feeding (not many adult wilds obtain that girth/length) - chose tankmates with care so that you don't need to overfeed the tank in order to get food to all fish

Thanks for the information. I have been watching this guys videos on the tube

I went to the store after work, they had colombian red fin, however the ones they had diddnt really look anything like piranha so I opted for the barbs. They are currently working on destroying the daphnia population. I assume it'll be a fair while before I need to add food. Ill do a test in the morn see where my nitrates are at.

Back